Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alotofproblems

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2022
Whenever I put my bootable high sierra drive into my 5,1, it works and then enters the recovery screen. From there, if I click on 'Install macOS', it takes me to a screen stating I need a firmware upgrade, and to do so I need to shut down my computer. However, if I click the shut down button it shows the buffering wheel for a couple seconds before stopping and my mac becomes unresponsive for a few seconds, and then nothing happens.
I am using a crucial mx500 2.5 inch ssd and crucial p2 nvme M.2 ssd which are both recognised by the computer.
IMG_0372.JPG
IMG_0371.JPG
IMG_0374.JPG

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Your thread tittle is misleading, you don't have a downloading problem, but a firmware upgrade problem - you have a BootROM firmware that is currently older than MP51.0089.B00 (>AboutThisMac>SystemReport>Hardware>BootROM or System Firmware Version) and it's a required firmware upgrade for High Sierra. Start reading the first post of the thread below:

MP5,1: What you have to do to upgrade to Mojave (BootROM upgrade instructions thread)

Mac Pro firmware upgrades are very complex compared to other Macs, just one thing wrong and the firmware upgrade won't work at all - most people have multiple problems that block the firmware upgrade process.

Read all the notes listed on the post linked above and see where exactly you are falling the requirements.

Last edited:

Alotofproblems

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2022
Thank you, will try to be less misleading in future. My 5,1 has no upgrades yet, so the card is still the ATI Radeon HD 5770, which isnt metal supported. Thank you so much I'd been stuck on this for days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.