Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Ok, I've been runnin folding on my dual 1.25 for a couple weeks and doing a good job of cranking out the WUs. But today I tried using FCP while folding was running and playback was terrible, spinning beachball, skipped frames, etc.

So I had to shut down folding. Unfortunately, i had to kill the processes - didn't have the window open in the terminal any more, probably because of a reboot.

So how do I start and stop folding when I need to if I don't have the terminal window up that originally started the processes?

Thanks,

D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
If your using mc68k's dual CPU script then you can just open a new terminal window and type 'stop', and it'll kill the processes, to start again just type 'start', mc68k's script makes it very easy.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
ah, that makes it very easy, thanks.

Didn't realize that it would work in any window.

D :D

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
yeah i have it in the .login file, so it'll open in every window. if you type in alias you'll get a listing of the shortcut names and the commands that are actually being sent to the shell.

but it didn't work through ssh, there must be a different file for that...

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by mc68k
yeah i have it in the .login file, so it'll open in every window. if you type in alias you'll get a listing of the shortcut names and the commands that are actually being sent to the shell.

but it didn't work through ssh, there must be a different file for that...

I think you need a General FAQ for your scripts. You know the basic 'to install' 'to run' 'to uninstall' 'stopping/restarting'

You know everything like that..
IMO would stop repeat threads from happening.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by MrMacman
I think you need a General FAQ for your scripts. You know the basic 'to install' 'to run' 'to uninstall' 'stopping/restarting'

You know everything like that..
IMO would stop repeat threads from happening.
i do. theres a readme in the .dmg.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Yeah but people don't always look there, they look here. :rolleyes:
if they don't want to read it then so be it. i'm not going to repeat myself on the forums.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
the ~/.cshrc file works for making command aliases that you can use over ssh

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
hey, does anyone know how long it takes for your name to get on the stats server? I have finished 2 units, and my name is still not on their.:confused: :confused:

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by timbloom
the ~/.cshrc file works for making command aliases that you can use over ssh

that's the config file for csh. each shell has its own. i think the default shell for osx is tcsh.

csh --> .cshrc
tcsh --> .tcshrc
bash --> .bashrc (i think)

et. al.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by sparkleytone
now hold on a second. i thought folding was given the absolute lowest process priority. if this is true you should be having these problems.

Yeah, it does in most cases. But for some reason when playing FCP it doesn't. Not a big deal, actually. I'll just turn it off when I'm editing and start up again when I'm finished.

Has anyone noticed this happening with any other apps?

D

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by me hate windows
hey, does anyone know how long it takes for your name to get on the stats server? I have finished 2 units, and my name is still not on their.:confused: :confused:

I searched for 'me hate' or 'windows' on our team nada.
Check
A) We are team 3446 ( done with script)
B) You know you username.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by zimv20
that's the config file for csh. each shell has its own. i think the default shell for osx is tcsh.
tcsh is a subset of csh, so it should work. i'll have to test it.

the default shell is tcsh. you can tell ur current shell by:
Code:
echo $SHELL

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
I searched for 'me hate' or 'windows' on our team nada.
Check
A) We are team 3446 ( done with script)
B) You know you username.
on that i am schizzlefuzz, not me hate windows. Do you have to sign up on their site to have status, or does it just show up?

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by me hate windows
on that i am schizzlefuzz, not me hate windows. Do you have to sign up on their site to have status, or does it just show up?
all you can do is go here:

http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/searchstats

and type in shizzlefuzz

if u've completed the unit it will show up eventually. updated hourly.

i can't tell u exaclty because i don't know which one of my machines report in when. someone else could though as many here have prob experienced thier first WU recently.

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
New problem...sorta

I've been running folding on my DP and my 450 for a week or two now without a hitch. I've noticed that my last two work units weren't properly transmitted to the server. I get the following in FAHlog.txt:

[23:16:21] + Attempting to send results
[23:16:21] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[23:16:21] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)
[23:16:21] - Error: Could not transmit unit 03 (completed March 28). Keeping unit in queue.

I thought it was going to be a rare instance, because my second machine transmitted it's WU fine. My second processor finished and got the same error, so now I have 2 WU sitting on my machine.

No big deal...I assume it will go through at some time, but I was wondering if there is a way to force a dump to the work server without getting hemorrhoids?

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: New problem...sorta

Originally posted by crazytom
but I was wondering if there is a way to force a dump to the work server without getting hemorrhoids?
certainly

modes:
-config Configure user information
-queueinfo Get information on queued work units
-delete x Delete item #x from work queue
-send x Send result #x to server. Use x=all to send all results
-verbosity x Sets the output level, from 1 to 9 (max). The default is 3
-pause Pause after finishing & trying to send current unit
-forceasm Force core assembly optimizations to be used if available
-advmethods Use new advanced scientific menthods (beta)
so -send all on both processors, that is, if ur using both or ur using my script? i could prob include this in my next script

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
Yes, I'm using your script....and I assumed you were giving me the options for your fold script...looks like I gave myself hemorrhoids anyway.

Off I go to restart and start again...

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
Hmmm.

mc68k,

Would you recommend using -advmethods? I was poking on the board over at macnn and I saw someone mention this.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: Hmmm.

Originally posted by crazytom
mc68k,

Would you recommend using -advmethods? I was poking on the board over at macnn and I saw someone mention this.
bousozoku knows more about this issue than i do. afaik i don't know if it works for macs or not. maybe ill try it next week after spring break.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.