Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emmanueldmc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2022
Hi folks! First of all sorry for my poor english ? I need your help just to discard a problem with my unit 13 Pro Max before to take it to an Apple Store…

My problem is with the autofocus recording videos… When I start a video with te 1x lens and want to close up something, the iPhone don’t switch automatically to macro lens, I need to press the screen to force the focus and only this way the lens switch to macro. The problem is that this switch are not made automatically.

On instagram app when I start a record with the 1x camera and making the same close up the camera automatically switch, i don’t need to do anything.

Your iPhone’s works the same way or it’s my unit?

Just for mention, I just update my phone to iOS 15.4 via iTunes hoping this fixing the issue but don’t works ?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Seeing the same thing here on my 13 pro max running 15.4, wouldn’t bother going to a  store, looks like a software bug.

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
Having the same on my 13 Pro, but not all the time it seems. Can't be sure if it was the same before 15.4 or not.
Could you check if it's the same problem starting video in macro mode close to a object, and backing away from it?

Deifie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2016
Try the same with 30 FPS instead 60 FPS. Lens switching while filming not works with 60FPS.
I assume the instagram app defaults to 30FPS, therefore it is possible to switch the lens.

Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Try the same with 30 FPS instead 60 FPS. Lens switching while filming not works with 60FPS.
I assume the instagram app defaults to 30FPS, therefore it is possible to switch the lens.
60FPS or nothing for me lol, apple get it together for goodness sake. ?‍♂️

ph.rei

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2021
Is working fine on 13 pro with 15.4. Maybe a restart would help?

ph.rei

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2021
Nevermind.
As soon as I press Record the lens is not switching anymore. Maybe a software bug.

Deifie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2016
No, it’s not a bug, at 60FPS lens switching during recording is not possible. You are also not able to switch to the zoom lens, it only gets digitally zoomed…

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
No, it’s not a bug, at 60FPS lens switching during recording is not possible. You are also not able to switch to the zoom lens, it only gets digitally zoomed…
I think it is a bug. I'm on 30FPS and experiencing the issue. But it does not seem to occur when starting in macro and direct the camera to something else further away, only when closing in to something then I have to press the screen to focus.

emmanueldmc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2022

For me it’s the same, I make a test recording on HD/FHD 30 FPS and the camera don’t make the lens switch, I need to press the screen to focus and force the change.

Having the same on my 13 Pro, but not all the time it seems. Can't be sure if it was the same before 15.4 or not.
Could you check if it's the same problem starting video in macro mode close to a object, and backing away from it?

If I star the video with macro lens works better but also don’t make an auto switch to 1x lens. And yeah, this problem was before 15.4, I just mentioned that because some time ago, in a genius bar, someone tell me that is better install the updates trough iTunes because an OTA is just a Delta update, just with the necessary files changed from the last build, and a iTunes update install the full OS perfect to fix some issues.

I don't know if I should waste my time going to an Apple Store, the closest one is 2 hours away, it would be a headache to get there and have them test other devices to determine that all other iphones work the same way and it's not a problem with my iPhone.

emmanueldmc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2022
So… From what I've been reading, it seems that it's a software bug with the camera application and not with my phone in specific.

Reactions: ph.rei

emmanueldmc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2022
it's weird that the camera app works so poorly and others like instagram work as a native app should work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.