Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leoheise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
hi all,
recently I made a huge clean up on my Mac Mini to get some free space, because it was saying that my memory was almost full. So, I deleted lots of things and went to my Macintosh HD to see how my HD was (used is showing up as 325 GB):

(idk why, my imagem didn't show up, so here is the link) http://www.mediafire.com/view/anyv4h9yzeyrz/Images#0zdy2bvbn32xbc8

Then, days later, I went and saw the Applications + Library + System + Users (all the pastes inside my Macintosh HD) and the sum of all this four gave me around 225 GB used:

So, I don't know where those 100 GB went :)
Can someone help me? I tried searching for it, but I didn't know what I'd search to find some problem like mine (english isn't my native language).
Thanks.

Last edited:

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Do you have time machine? If it does not see the backup HD for a while, it starts backup up locally.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Did you actually empty the trash? Have you tried the "About this Mac" to see what it says? It will break out usage on the hard drive by Music, Videos, Applications, and "Other"..... Might help.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
If you want to how much space has been used on any hard drive, click on it, then in the finder, click file, then get info. That will tell you how much space has been used and how much space is available.

leoheise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Do you have time machine? If it does not see the backup HD for a while, it starts backup up locally.

I forgot to tell, I didn't configurate time machine, so when I open it, it says that is off. So, this isn't the problem.

Did you actually empty the trash? Have you tried the "About this Mac" to see what it says? It will break out usage on the hard drive by Music, Videos, Applications, and "Other"..... Might help.

Yes, I empty the trash, and in the "About this Mac", a good fraction is in the "other", so I can't get anything out of it :/

If you want to how much space has been used on any hard drive, click on it, then in the finder, click file, then get info. That will tell you how much space has been used and how much space is available.

Yeah, I did that, it's on the link images (I couldn't put the image on the normal way).

Anyways, thanks for the answers until now.

leoheise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
it showed this:

1 /.DocumentRevisions-V100
1 /.fseventsd
1 /.Spotlight-V100
1 /.svn
0 /.Trashes
0 /.vol

then I tried again and just showed up the two first ones:

1 /.fseventsd

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
it showed this:

1 /.fseventsd
1 /.Spotlight-V100
1 /.svn
0 /.Trashes
0 /.vol

1 /.fseventsd

You have to wait for that command to finish. Might take 5 to 10 minutes on some systems.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
it showed this:

1 /.fseventsd
1 /.Spotlight-V100
1 /.svn
0 /.Trashes
0 /.vol

1 /.fseventsd

Yeah... like Delta said... you did not let it finish. Give it a couple minutes. You will know it is done because a total will be shown on the last line.

leoheise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
You have to wait for that command to finish. Might take 5 to 10 minutes on some systems.

oh, sorry. Now it showed this:

1 /.fseventsd
1 /.Spotlight-V100
1 /.svn
0 /.Trashes
0 /.vol
29 /Applications
1 /bin
0 /cores
1 /dev
1 /home
11 /Library
1 /net
0 /Network
1 /opt
12 /private
1 /sbin
5 /System
244 /Users
1 /usr
1 /Volumes
301 /
301 total

So, the problem is with something in /Users, because when I click "Get info", appears 170 GB, and here it's showing 244 GB... is this normal? To get different results depending on how I get the information? hahaha

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So, the problem is with something in /Users, because when I click "Get info", appears 170 GB, and here it's showing 244 GB... is this normal? To get different results depending on how I get the information? hahaha

Do you have more than one account under Users? It sounds like Finder is only showing you the size of one account.

leoheise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Do you have more than one account under Users? It sounds like Finder is only showing you the size of one account.

hahahahaha... can't believe it was that. I had a deleted user that was occupying around 100 GB, and I haven't seen.
Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.