Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
My elderly parents have a late-2013 13-inch MacBook Pro with a Core i5 processor, running MacOS 10.14 Mojave.

Up until recently, this aging, well-worn laptop was running well. Now? Not so much...

A few weeks ago, the MacBook started having battery issues. It now constantly reports zero charge. It has to be plugged-in at all times. The minute you relocate the laptop and re-plug-in, it reboots.

Also of note within the last week or so: the trackpad pointer constantly disappears, especially when launching an app or switching between apps. The only way to get the pointer back is to keep clicking around until you get it to click on the top of a window. This is a hit-and-miss technique, as it takes a while to get the invisible pointer to the top of a window.

Other than buying a new laptop, can anyone suggest any remedies to these problems? Is the battery completely shot? Is there anything that can be done about the pointer?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do you have a brick n mortar Apple Store anywhere near?
NOT a "3rd party provider" -- I'm talking about a REAL "Apple Store".

If so, you might take it to the genius bar and see if it will qualify for their $199 battery replacement.
For that, you get:
- a new Apple-labeled battery
- installation
- a short warranty.
Actually, a very good deal.

Also be aware that amazon has a sale going on right now with the new MBP 14/16" models:
Deals: Amazon Introduces Massive Discounts on 2021 MacBook Pros, Save Up to $499

Reactions: Wingsley

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Do you have a brick n mortar Apple Store anywhere near?
NOT a "3rd party provider" -- I'm talking about a REAL "Apple Store".

If so, you might take it to the genius bar and see if it will qualify for their $199 battery replacement.
For that, you get:
- a new Apple-labeled battery
- installation
- a short warranty.
Actually, a very good deal.

Also be aware that amazon has a sale going on right now with the new MBP 14/16" models:
Deals: Amazon Introduces Massive Discounts on 2021 MacBook Pros, Save Up to $499
Nearest Apple store is 100 miles away.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Nearest Apple store is 100 miles away."

That might be a trip worth taking, if your parents don't want another MacBook.

I'm thinking that if it qualifies for the $199 battery replacement, Apple will arrange to ship it back directly to them, so you'd only have to make the trip once.

Again, if they start talking "replacement", consider the sale that's going on now, link in my earlier reply. You're not going to find a better deal than that...

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Unfortunately the 2013 MacBook Pros are all on Apple's obsolete list, so they may or may not still offer a battery replacement. I would not wait to contact them.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
No 100-mile travels are possible at this time. My father is recovering from Shingles and my mother has congestive heart failure with complications affecting her mobility and eyesight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.