Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Golden_N

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2020
Hi everyone. Not sure if i should post this here or somewhere else but i have a question.

I found a MacBook Pro 15 inch early 2011 in trash with a swollen battery. I removed the battery and bought a charger and run the laptop without the battery. Everything works good and so i decided to buy a battery for it. When i got the battery and installed it in the laptop it worked but when you let the battery discharge it will jump from 50%-70% to 7% and stay there for a while and the battery maximum capacity goes down. After a few cycles it is already under 60% health. I read about the issue and it seems to be faulty battery. I contacted the seller and they send me a new battery. Same issue. I gave up and after few months i contacted the seller again and got 3rd battery but it has the same issue.

And so i was wondering if all three batteries are faulty or did the swollen battery damage something inside the laptop and if yes then what did it damage and is there a fix for it.

Sorry for the bad english. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Golden_N

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2020
Thanks for the answers.

Audit13. I did caribrate them and some of them i caribrated three times. On the first try with the first battery it returnet a bid of cappacity but that was it.

Saudor. I know that they have graphic issues but it is working for now and it would be atleast ten times faster than any other laptop in my household so i would love to get it working and use it in my studies.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
3rd-party replacement batteries almost never work as well as the "factory originals" did.
It's a crap shoot.
Sometimes one will get lucky.
Much of the time, one has to put up with things as they are.

Golden_N

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2020
Fishrrman. Thanks for your answer. I know that 3rd-party batteries will most likely be worse but i dont think they should lose half of the cappasity in 10 cycles. I also remebered that with the second replacement battery i had problem that if i use it more than an hour. I could get small electric shock from the body. I covered the battery capartment in tape that doesn't contuct electricity and it stopped the electric shocks but didn't help with the cappacity loss.

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
Dont forget that when you run a Mac portable with no battery installed it OS forces the CPU to run at a lower clock speed to keep from using more power than the power adapter can provide. I had to run my 2011 13" like that for a month and it was dog slow and it forced my 2.7 i7 to run at 1.4ghz.

Golden_N

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2020
Dont forget that when you run a Mac portable with no battery installed it OS forces the CPU to run at a lower clock speed to keep from using more power than the power adapter can provide. I had to run my 2011 13" like that for a month and it was dog slow and it forced my 2.7 i7 to run at 1.4ghz.
Because of that underclock i want to have a battery. And if the battery would hold a charge then it would be even better. Also i dont really need the dGpu so if it fails it isn't too bad for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.