Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Torqed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
Boston
I have my Yahoo! email account synced to my iPhone (5S) running IOS 9.0. I have been concerned about taking the newer updates both because of the problems they contain, as well as the changes they will make to the security of the iPhone. I do not want to give any ground to the government on getting easy access to our phones without our consent. I am sensitive to the Bill of Rights-type issues.

In any case, when I go to read news stories contained in the email links ... the iPhone spins them back to the email, like it is censoring what I am allowed to read. It is really frustrating. I dumped Google and Yahoo as the browsers from the iPhone because they are both trying to monitor. I went with DuckDuckGo, which does not monitor. I am concerned Apple is intentionally trying to create problems with DuckDuckGo so people do not choose it but that is not their call. Any ideas???

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I have my Yahoo! email account synced to my iPhone (5S) running IOS 9.0. I have been concerned about taking the newer updates both because of the problems they contain, as well as the changes they will make to the security of the iPhone. I do not want to give any ground to the government on getting easy access to our phones without our consent. I am sensitive to the Bill of Rights-type issues.

In any case, when I go to read news stories contained in the email links ... the iPhone spins them back to the email, like it is censoring what I am allowed to read. It is really frustrating. I dumped Google and Yahoo as the browsers from the iPhone because they are both trying to monitor. I went with DuckDuckGo, which does not monitor. I am concerned Apple is intentionally trying to create problems with DuckDuckGo so people do not choose it but that is not their call. Any ideas???
So much fail.

• Updates mean more security, not less.
  • Neither Google nor Yahoo are browsers.
  • Apple chose to include DDG as a search engine.
  • Apple "cares" more about users' privacy than most other tech companies, as it has built its reputation on being private & secure. iOS goes to great lengths to protect user info. If Apple abandoned this, they would stand to lose much much more than they would gain.
  • Lastly, you use Yahoo! email? Ok then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.