Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Witti2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2021
Hello, I'm new here and have you helped me.

I have a Mac Pro 5.1
Big Sur
Nvidia GTX680

Today I received a Saphire Puls RX580 4GB incl. The appropriate cable, listened to it and heard the computer, thanks to OC I also see the bootscreen and the system started, but only up to half of the loading bar, then it stops and the fan of the Graphics card go out.

This is meanwhile the 4th Saphire Pulse card that I try, the first also include two with 8GB memory, I've always heard that the cards are not OK, but now I think that the problem is and is yours can help me.

Greetings

Witti2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2021
Hello, the recovery mode does not work properly for me, because I always get an error message that something cannot be found. But that's apparently because the system is patched. That's why I wanted to set up the whole system again anyway and only work with OC.

What then has to be configured for the card at OC? I had read in there and actually everyone wrote that these cards should work out of the box.

greetings

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
There are some quirks that help Mac OS work with these (head to OC thread and read the "acceleration" section), but you are right, it should work out of the box.

If you have a spare disk, I suggest you installed OC there, removed your regular boot drive and then use a flash drive to clean install Big Sur.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
What's the preferred mode on the RX580 with the 5,1. normal or game mode ?, thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.