Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yendog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Sonoma, CA
So I've come for help. So frustrating.

For a long while I've had problems with my interface with Siri and the dictation in general. I'm not sure if they are related.

VERY often when I call up siri by double tapping my AirPods I get a tiny little crackle of static before the beep. I'd say 70% percent of the time then I have to double tap again to get it to actually engage. Sometimes it will be a tiny crackle then the beep then it will work.. sometimes it does it and then just doesn't work and i have to tap it again. This happens with two separate AirPods sets.

This seems better with wired earbuds but not always.

I also keep getting the infuriating "you'll have to unlock your iPhone first" when trying to send a text while driving. (yes I have it set correctly in setting to use while locked) This is happening a good 60 percent of the time in my car and it is truly maddening.

Also often when using AirPods or even wired at home if I got to dictate a text directly without using siri it will "activate" but not actually be receiving audio as i'll have to hit the mic icon multiple times.

Basically I am just infuriated at Apple and siri etc most of the time.

I'm not sure if all these are related but I suspect so... I've reset a bunch... turned Siri on and off with rebooting etc... all kinds of stuff.. but does anyone have any suggestions.. I'm so tired of screaming expletives at siri while in the car.

Literally I have to double tap to get siri on my buds 2 times probalby 75-80% of the time. (There are lots of other annoying things as well like after I do send a text saying something like "i'm on my way to grocery" and then I say "read text" as one has come in she will say "I'm sorry I cant find any texts that contains "I'm on the way to grocery") but I think that is just general Siri awfulness. :)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Yendog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Sonoma, CA
yes although I use it constantly for certain things... especially driving and texting.. how does one not use siri doing that?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it doesn't. It's never been reliable. That's why I put it in the "sucks" bin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.