Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
I recently had a problem with my iMac not turning on because of the Chrome update. I first tried to reinstall Mojave without restoring it from a Time Machine back up. That didn't work....then I tried to restore the Mac from a Time Machine and it didn't work....it would say 'An error occurred while restoring from the backup....." So then, believe, I tried to start it from scratch and then restore it from a time machine backup. So I did restore it from scratch or so I thought since some of the settings were restored. Then I tried to restore it from my time machine backup. That didn't work again...then I tried to change the startup disk and do a time machine restore from that and it said 'You can't change the startup disk to the selected disk. Running bless to place boot files failed." So I looked up what that last part meant and I think the problem that I have now is that my iMac's hard drive is formatted from APFS, but my Time Machine was originally formatted MacOS Extended Journaled. What should I do to get my iMac successfully restored from my Time Machine backup?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.