Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Spellcheckers in general suck. They still check one word at a time, so they miss errors in timing of the hitting of the space bar (e.g., 'to the' being typed as 'tot he', I won't spell out what happens to 'Got it?') or typos that makes no sense in the context of words around them (my personal favourite is 'Bets wishes' for 'Best wishes').

Also, being an American living in the UK, the difference between American English and UK English is a pain. Imagine spelling tire with a 'y'... unfathomable.

you reminded me of the other one arggghh!!!

when you are typing a word, often a name or a brand, into a search box, and you type it correct, and as you hit search Apple corrects it to something else and you get the search for something totally different.

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
More iCloud storage space and less expensive price

long screenshots with scrolling feature

More dedicated battery charging features, such as bonding the optimized charging with the alarms in the health app and a charge limiter in the control center.

‘Pro’ mode in energy and heat management, such as switching several thermal presets in certain apps such as games.

Reactions: ScreenSavers

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
My complaints aren't bugs, they are by design, and almost all have to do with the Finder. My principal complaint for this post will be tags. Why did they have to completely eliminate and never bring back the bright colorful labels? Instead we have these stupid dots that in large folders with small icons or in list view are nearly impossible to spot without spotting and analyzing the whole folder. Even keying sections looks awkward now. Before in list view that whole line was colored in, making it incredibly easy to tell what's labeled. Looked a whole lot better in Stacks views too.

The only thing that the tags are useful for to me now is for file search operations, where they are still the same basically. In general, I dislike the Finder. Funny to dislike the main part of the Mac system, but I have a lot of little nagging issues with it. Shift click doing completely different things in icon and list view, icon view fails to scale to resized windows often, list view doesn't manually use the width of your window, Quick Look audio/video previews restart themselves, built-in server connection for FTP is read-only (this one there may be a reason for that I never figured out) ands so on.

It's not all bad though, I do have good experience with Finder search and there are small things with organization that are better, for example when copying a folder it doesn't destroy the creation date like Windows does.

Music app sucks. Hopefully they focus a bit more on it soon.
Tried Pathfinder?

For me in general iCloud just has issues.

Secondly the Music app... and Apple Music in general needs a lot of work

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
This one isn't a bug per se, it's just poor design IMO. The iPhone Lock Screen has a flash light button in the lower left corner and camera button in the lower right corner. Using either is super annoying, they never work when I need them. If you have never noticed it, try turning the flash on and off a couple of times quickly, try doing it consistently.

It used to be operated with 3D Touch, that worked much better. Now it's a long-ish press. I want to be able to remove the buttons completely as both functions can be accessed in other (pretty fast) ways anyway. Accidental flash light activation is the worst.

On the subject of the lower half of the Lock Screen, when I take my phone out of my pocket I often skip or scrub through the music that's playing due to the new lower design for the controls (iPhone 13 mini). I would like to see that go back to the top.

Reactions: 211 and glsillygili

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
This one isn't a bug per se, it's just poor design IMO. The iPhone Lock Screen has a flash light button in the lower left corner and camera button in the lower right corner. Using either is super annoying, they never work when I need them. If you have never noticed it, try turning the flash on and off a couple of times quickly, try doing it consistently.

It used to be operated with 3D Touch, that worked much better. Now it's a long-ish press. I want to be able to remove the buttons completely as both functions can be accessed in other (pretty fast) ways anyway. Accidental flash light activation is the worst.

On the subject of the lower half of the Lock Screen, when I take my phone out of my pocket I often skip or scrub through the music that's playing due to the new lower design for the controls (iPhone 13 mini). I would like to see that go back to the top.
I sometimes accidentally turn on my flashlight when putting the phone in my pocket. It often stays on till someone tells my my pocket is glowing.

glsillygili

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
New York
Something that has annoyed me for awhile is some toggle switches have no animations. The clock app does it with alarms and some settings in the settings app does it as well, I know VPN is one of them.
iCloud locking creating tons of ewaste for very old phones for practically no reason except "security" 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
I have an iPad 3 I sent a request to get unlocked. Of course they denied it. Who is going to have a receipt from 10 years ago? Not even the IRS wants receipts that old.
I sometimes accidentally turn on my flashlight when putting the phone in my pocket. It often stays on till someone tells my my pocket is glowing.
I do this all the time, super aggravating. When I had a jailbroken phone I hid and disabled them and it looked so much better and it was no longer an issue.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
While not the only problem, the one that bugs me far and away above all others...

UnexpectedEjection.jpg

This has been a widespread problem since Big Sur, affecting a wide variety of external enclosures that- through same cable, same firmware, same enclosure, same drives- have no such problem hooked to PRE-Big Sur Macs. Through an enormous amount of testing and trials, I've mostly concluded that there are bugs in macOS port management that only Apple can fix... and they haven't got to it through now 3 generations of macOS.

Remedy: try different enclosures until you find one that can remain consistently connected. The "Apple is always right" cheerleaders will jump into every thread about this problem and try to blame anything and everything except Apple but all that seems to fall away when one can connect through the same cable to a pre-Big Sur Mac and all is stable again.

There's even posts of people who had stable enclosures pre-Big Sur, upgraded to Big Sur or newer, crash into the problem, and the stable connection being important enough to them to then downgrade back to the pre-Big Sur OS on the SAME Mac. What happened when they did? All is fine again. That seems to scream source of this problem, as it rules out every "redirection" variable.

The issue is posted by many here and all over the web, including Apple's own support forums. It is not limited to any one brand of enclosure, any particular age of enclosures, any particular Mac, only Silicon Macs, etc. It seems to be most problematic with RAID HDDs though single HDDs show it too. It seems least problematic with single SSDs though all are not immune.

There is a long list the cheerleaders will recommend to try to resolve the problem but, generally, nothing works for most other than flipping back to pre-Big Sur or giving up on an enclosure and trying a different one. At some point, I expect Apple to update port management software and the U in USB will mean what it is supposed to mean again. For now- on our dear Macs- sub in an M for that U, to mean "MAYBE" or "MIGHT" (work reliably).

As in all things, 10 or 20 guys will pound in to say they have had no problem whatsoever with this (implying that those having troubles must be at fault, or conspiring against Apple, etc.) but there's just too many with the issue for it to be user error, bad cable, settings, third party stuff, firmware, etc. Some enclosures have no problems so some users do NOT experience this until they attach an enclosure that will unexpectedly eject.

My old iMac and my getting-old MB both running macOS BEFORE Big Sur have no trouble at all with a "mission critical" enclosure I like to use. But my "latest & greatest" Mac Studio Ultra running latest & greatest macOS can't maintain the same connection through the same cable for more than about 3 hours MAX. And I'm farrrrrrrr from the only one.

Apple, if you ever read threads like this, PLEASE make the U mean what it is supposed to mean again. We miss "just works" Apple. Could we get back to that?

The image at the top of this post is the result of yet another fresh test just before I posted this on an up-to-date Mac Studio Ultra: made it a whopping 37 minutes this time before unexpectedly ejecting. 37 minutes!!! 🎉🎉🎉

Last edited:
Reactions: VulchR and Nermal

AlumaMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2018
autocorrect will totally change words like names and companies to something entirely different, just to show its smart and can work out possibilities of words made from adjacent letters, but never fixes obvious ones like typinh
Autocorrect has gone completely insane on my Apple devices…

Failed attempts at autocorrecting the word "recently":

797D74EC-AFB9-49EF-8BE3-E2FB04476070.jpeg

11E553E5-173C-454E-B61E-A586077E87C9.jpeg

Failed attempt at autocorrecting the word "California":

2D35A2A5-4DC0-470F-9EFD-26E4A4E54E8F.jpeg

DarkPremiumCho

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2023
Updating Xcode requires downloading the differential update, installing it, and then downloading the full Xcode update and installing it again.

iOS Spotlight search results have notes I deleted in the Notes app years ago.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Autocorrect has gone completely insane on my Apple devices…

Failed attempts at autocorrecting the word "recently":

View attachment 2210918

View attachment 2210919

Failed attempt at autocorrecting the word "California":

View attachment 2210920

I receNyla... I mean recenmaltrexone... I mean CalifoRhiannon felt this pain myself too. ;)

A variant for me is that mine wants to sub in fir fir fir ;) (for for). I use the word for a LOT and pretty much never use fir... but Apple seems determined to make me promote the fir tree business as much as possible, sometimes even slugging in the fir tree emoji. Example:

"What is this fir?" or "What is this 🌲"
"That's a type of tree"
"No, the word fir"
"Still a tree"
No, the word fir, fir, fir, fir!"
"Now that's a group of trees"
"Oh firget it!"

Somewhere Bud Abbott must be asking "Who's on Forst?" to a frustrated Lou Costello.

Last edited:

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
While not the only problem, the one that bugs me far and away above all others...

This has been a widespread problem since Big Sur, affecting a wide variety of external enclosures that- through same cable, same firmware, same enclosure, same drives- have no such problem hooked to PRE-Big Sur Macs. Through an enormous amount of testing and trials, I've mostly concluded that there are bugs in macOS port management that only Apple can fix... and they haven't got to it through now 3 generations of macOS.

Remedy: try different enclosures until you find one that can remain consistently connected. The "Apple is always right" cheerleaders will jump into every thread about this problem and try to blame anything and everything except Apple but all that seems to fall away when one can connect through the same cable to a pre-Big Sur Mac and all is stable again.

There's even posts of people who had stable enclosures pre-Big Sur, upgraded to Big Sur or newer, crash into the problem, and the stable connection being important enough to them to then downgrade back to the pre-Big Sur OS on the SAME Mac. What happened when they did? All is fine again. That seems to scream source of this problem, as it rules out every "redirection" variable.

The issue is posted by many here and all over the web, including Apple's own support forums. It is not limited to any one brand of enclosure, any particular age of enclosures, any particular Mac, only Silicon Macs, etc. It seems to be most problematic with RAID HDDs though single HDDs show it too. It seems least problematic with single SSDs though all are not immune.

There is a long list the cheerleaders will recommend to try to resolve the problem but, generally, nothing works for most other than flipping back to pre-Big Sur or giving up on an enclosure and trying a different one. At some point, I expect Apple to update port management software and the U in USB will mean what it is supposed to mean again. For now- on our dear Macs- sub in an M for that U, to mean "MAYBE" or "MIGHT" (work reliably).

As in all things, 10 or 20 guys will pound in to say they have had no problem whatsoever with this (implying that those having troubles must be at fault, or conspiring against Apple, etc.) but there's just too many with the issue for it to be user error, bad cable, settings, third party stuff, firmware, etc. Some enclosures have no problems so some users do NOT experience this until they attach an enclosure that will unexpectedly eject.

My old iMac and my getting-old MB both running macOS BEFORE Big Sur have no trouble at all with a "mission critical" enclosure I like to use. But my "latest & greatest" Mac Studio Ultra running latest & greatest macOS can't maintain the same connection through the same cable for more than about 3 hours MAX. And I'm farrrrrrrr from the only one.

Apple, if you ever read threads like this, PLEASE make the U mean what it is supposed to mean again. We miss "just works" Apple. Could we get back to that?

The image at the top of this post is the result of yet another fresh test just before I posted this on an up-to-date Mac Studio Ultra: made it a whopping 37 minutes this time before unexpectedly ejecting. 37 minutes!!! 🎉🎉🎉

This one drives me crazy. I can sometimes get it fixed by strategically choosing which ports on the dock to use for which drive. I eventually lost the battle with my CalDigit TS3. I bought a CalDigit TS4 (I hated to spend the money) and that seems to have almost fixed it. Now the disconnects happen only about once a week.

It only happens to me after waking from sleep. There is just some delay in getting the USB back up and MacOS looks for the disks before they're available. I've traced it in the logs and watched things happen out of order.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Say you don’t have macrumors.com bookmarked (on iPhone) so every day you enter in Safari “ma” and it automatically enters macrumors.com. That will work for days, maybe weeks.

But some day you visit another website that starts with “mac”, just once.

Now for the rest of the lifetime of the device or until you erase your history, it will only autofill that website you only visited once. Having to type “macr” to visit the website you’re visiting daily. It will never learn.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Chrome failing to updated a stored password for weeks after you change said password. Apparently if you use some cloud login it works but it doesn't work otherwise on multiple machines of mine, further cementing Chrome as the worst current browser in my book. "ThErE's No PlAcE lIkE cHrOmE...'

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I’ve been using Apple Music basically every day since launch. It will only show Replay for 2015 and tells me I should “start listening” to generate more lists.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL

I've never done it by accident, as I do have to long press to activate it. I still use an old flashlight app I used going back to my iPhone 4.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
My annoyance that keeps popping up for me is with apple TV library scrolling tv seasons (at least when purchased as a collection) are horizontal hell. That whole area with viewing and playing your library etc needs a revamp imo

Graham Caracas

Suspended
Jun 24, 2020
Six Toe, MO
MBP 2019 13" 13.4
Every time I go to System Settings> Internet Accounts> iCloud, the CPU and memory usage spike to the top of the graph via accountsd, but only when the iCloud menu is up. Otherwise the computer functions normally. Very annoying, like that one squeaky board in a solid oak floor.
Thanks, I've done all the resets and restarts.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
This one drives me crazy. I can sometimes get it fixed by strategically choosing which ports on the dock to use for which drive. I eventually lost the battle with my CalDigit TS3. I bought a CalDigit TS4 (I hated to spend the money) and that seems to have almost fixed it. Now the disconnects happen only about once a week.

It only happens to me after waking from sleep. There is just some delay in getting the USB back up and MacOS looks for the disks before they're available. I've traced it in the logs and watched things happen out of order.

I have tested through 3 powered hubs but gave up when none resolved it. So now I'm direct attached to the Mac Studio Ultra and I did test through each jack front and back and 3 different cables too (not from a 3-pack- truly different sourced cables). All 3 cables work fine when switching to an older pre-Big Sur Mac or doing anything else with them.

Sleep does seem to be one catalyst. However, I'm a working Mac guy and I've had this happen multiple times while actively R/W'ing to the drive (so both ends consistently awake).

I really expect no fellow user to come up with an answer other than try different hardware until we find one that works. That's what I've done, basically retiring my big RAID HDD from active use with Mac Studio but checking again on each macOS update in hopes that Apple finally got around to it. When I need something on it, I have to switch back to older Macs and do work on them. Maybe some day the "latest & greatest", "super powered" Mac will be able to do a "universal" thing that even my oldest Mac can do.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Something I’ve seen for many years, which apparently never gets fixed:

Sometimes a Mac encounters itself on the local network and as a result renames itself, for example from “MyMac” to “MyMac (2)”, because its name is “already taken”. This can happen multiple time, I’ve seen it go up to “MyMac (5)”. I thought it was related to having multiple network interfaces (like Ethernet and WiFi), but oddly it also happens on Macs with just WiFi.

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
Mac Mail not having a dedicated drop zone and holding pen for attachments in draft messages. No way to force all attachments to not be inline.

Messages not having a way to export or share complete messages (including images, videos and the like) for archiving. That goes for any messaging app, by the way.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Home hasn't worked properly for me since Apple changed to the new architecture. All my devices work with the apps from the manufacturer just don't work when integrated with Home app. Constant "not responding" or Apple TV says "playing" when it most definitely is not

RazorBackXX

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2023
No sticky note in folders

why is there an automator app if shortcuts was supposed to replace it

mouse still doesn't feel right & has hidden options in accessibility

iCloud Photo Library download originals takes decades now so much for improved facial recognition as well I have to mainly click on every persons face. & don't get me started on memories

oh & my ringtone still won't change it stays on default no matter what I do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.