Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xenoako

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2021
My spouse was firm that she was holding strong with her 2nd gen iPad Pro. Now that I placed an order for a 5th gen iPad Pro she wants to take my 4th gen iPad Pro that I was 'pledged to trade' during last Friday's purchase process direct with Apple.
I have gone down other paths before and prefer this seamless transition. Is it best to call Apple and tell them about substituting the 2nd gen for the 4th gen since their records have the S/N for the 4th gen? (I remember once getting my S/N wrong on a trade like this and that delayed the refund for several weeks.) If I call, it is best to wait until the 5th gen shows up 6+ weeks from now?
If I go to an Apple store, will it simply be Apple gift cards rather than a refund on my cc?

AnthonySager

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
The way the trade in works is you get charged the full amount of your new device then get credit back to your card/payment once the trade in is received and validated. I would simply wait until your new ipad shows up then contact them and let them know you won't be sending in the trade afterall.

Then do a new trade or sell your 2nd gen on ebay/FB/etc...

Reactions: xenoako

xenoako

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2021
When my spouse did this a few years ago, we just gave it away. I called Apple and they said no worries since a refund is triggered only when the trade device is received and reviewed.
I suppose I can hope for a helpful call and if not then see what the local Apple store would do.

victry1

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2008
NJ
Are you able to get to an Apple store? If so, just trade in there and get a gift certificate. Then call Apple and see how to adjust your order.
Good luck! I’m with you-I wouldn’t want to wait til July either.

Reactions: xenoako

xenoako

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2021
Are you able to get to an Apple store? If so, just trade in there and get a gift certificate. Then call Apple and see how to adjust your order.
Good luck! I’m with you-I wouldn’t want to wait til July either.
If I end up with an Apple gift card then I would use it to purchase a new Magic pro keyboard/case.

Reactions: victry1

xenoako

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2021
I did a chat and was told to call Apple support who told me they sent through a 'manager's request' to change the s/n for the trade-in. We will see if this works.

Reactions: victry1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.