Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morgan Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
I'm having a problem with the processor board release mechanism on my 4,1 Mac Pro. You are meant to press in the tabs on either side to push out the board connected at the back. However these tabs now do nothing. You can freely slide them in and out without any resistance. To remove the board I have to grab hold of the front tab and jerk it out, as delicately as I can until it releases, and then slide it out.

I don't know what could have caused this. There may be a part missing that I took out but lost. I don't know. Can someone illuminate for me how the release mechanism is supposed to work?

f96rKaD.jpg

0WEvxqS.jpg

TUF7fzZ.jpg

Im9ttzq.jpg

5uiOlhk.jpg

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
All six screws securing the processor cage seems to be missing too. And couple of other screws too, from both sides of the CPU to MB socket. It might be a good idea to check all the mountings and screws.

Attachments

• MacPro_processor_cage.jpg
    MacPro_processor_cage.jpg
    780.2 KB · Views: 199

Morgan Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Ahh thank you both. Yes I have the screws temporarily removed. But what difference should they make? I presume they elevate the floor of the processor board just a little bit?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Ahh thank you both. Yes I have the screws temporarily removed. But what difference should they make? I presume they elevate the floor of the processor board just a little bit?
The latch mechanism uses those to lock in place and push out when you flip the levers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.