Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mynameisjesse

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
new york.
ive been looking a very long time to find out if leaving the processor performance setting on high is bad for your cpu. i know the fans will be louder, i dont mind, im just a bit worried about the g5 as is with its heating issues. would appreciate any help.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Mine has been set to highest since about May and it's still fine. It's not setting the processor performance to highest that'll shorten a computer's life, it's using the CPU to its maximum capabilities. In other words, the highest setting in Energy Saver is just fine. :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Mine seems fine. Setting the Energy Saver settings to highest won't necessarily increase the CPU temperature but rather the rate at which the temperature can rise. The computer will still sleep (or even shut down) if the temperature gets too high. FWIW, I've never had a Mac fall asleep on me due to high temperatures. :)

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
mynameisjesse said:
isnt it bad for it to be running at such a temperature though? it increases drastically.

No, not at all. It was made for those temperatures and then some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.