Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
upgrade later

i was about to go all osx even though my os 9.2.2 rarely ever crashes simply for the interface alone until i added up the cost for the switch.
the main sticking point is virtually none of my hardware 2 opcode midi interfaces, audiowerl2 by emagic, yamaha dsp factory by yamaha with ax44 i/o unit tons of vst synths and effect plugins, cubase etc. wont work in osx and most likely never will, in fact they dont work and classic mode either. i love my gear it works great with the 9 drivers, but were are the osx drivers, i know most of these products are now discontinued but emagic, yamaha and all the software companies are in good shape.
well it all comes down to money it will cost over $3000 for me to replace all of these in osx or so. all the companies mentioned have new products they want to sell me rather then support there old ones. after buying osx every year and paying $49 for the free itools i decided to use that $3000 on a new powermac this summer if someone can get them to boot in os9 other wise i will buy the fastest os9 bootable mac. and use os9 for music and osx for everything else

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Re: upgrade later

Originally posted by daveg5
i was about to go all osx even though my os 9.2.2 rarely ever crashes simply for the interface alone until i added up the cost for the switch.
the main sticking point is virtually none of my hardware 2 opcode midi interfaces, audiowerl2 by emagic, yamaha dsp factory by yamaha with ax44 i/o unit tons of vst synths and effect plugins, cubase etc. wont work in osx and most likely never will, in fact they dont work and classic mode either. i love my gear it works great with the 9 drivers, but were are the osx drivers, i know most of these products are now discontinued but emagic, yamaha and all the software companies are in good shape.
well it all comes down to money it will cost over $3000 for me to replace all of these in osx or so. all the companies mentioned have new products they want to sell me rather then support there old ones. after buying osx every year and paying $49 for the free itools i decided to use that $3000 on a new powermac this summer if someone can get them to boot in os9 other wise i will buy the fastest os9 bootable mac. and use os9 for music and osx for everything else
I don't think you'll find drivers for your opcode midi interfaces. Maybe some nice person will develop drivers, who knows. You might get Yamaha if you get everyone you know to bug them and then threaten them. :eek: Time will only tell with the plugins. I think you'll see most of the classic plugins come over, but they'll probably require some sort of nominal upgrade fee, which is a shame.

You could opt for selling some of your interfaces etc. If you can get a reasonable amount of money it might ease the burden. But it'll be a pain nonetheless. :(

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
holly, and i thoought i had it rough. I am waiting for the Digi 001 to come out for OSX.

That is (in AUS) $2395 worth of gear but USD3000, ouchy.

I agree with pgwalsh - if you dont need it or are going to upgrade it (especially the mac itself) sell it on ebay. you could make enough to help alot. Alot of peolpe cant even consider a brand new mac. an old one and some os9 compatible hardware will sell preety easily.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Re: upgrade later

Originally posted by daveg5
I don't think you'll find drivers for your opcode midi interfaces. Maybe some nice person will develop drivers, who knows. You might get Yamaha if you get everyone you know to bug them and then threaten them. :eek: Time will only tell with the plugins. I think you'll see most of the classic plugins come over, but they'll probably require some sort of nominal upgrade fee, which is a shame.

You could opt for selling some of your interfaces etc. If you can get a reasonable amount of money it might ease the burden. But it'll be a pain nonetheless. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.