Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spooner83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
Hi, is it possible to get professional film quality on iPhone? Let me explain. I'm not talking about the ISO, Depth and Aperture, or Frame rate. I know movies are filmed in 23fps. I'm talking about the way it looks. Like, every movie we see in theaters has a non-sharp look. Almost like they are filmed with a standard sharpness just like an iPhone but they unsharpen it post-production. It's almost like they're slightly blurry. I've tried to figure out how to explain this but I can never describe the way I see it. If you film video on iPhone in cinematic mode, yes it has the depth off field like a Hollywood movie and yes you can edit the ISO but it still doesn't look like a Hollywood movie. So, I wonder if it's the amount of blur or are film editors adding film grain to the videos in post-production. If you film a video with a RED camera and a iPhone, the RED camera automatically has the Hollywood quality. Hope I'm making sense. I attached a link to show reference. I guess what I'm looking for is the one element to make videos filmed on an iPhone look like Hollywood quality. Maybe it's the lens. Just can't figure it out.

Thanks

TeeWrecks

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2015
Bronx, NY
You can try using a filter attachment to reduce some of the sharpness, moment probably has something for iPhones. This is what I did on my mirrorless cam

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.