Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I think I found a profile handling bug in Mac OS X 10.3.X. It is NOT a security flaw, since (unless you've explicity turned Windows Sharing on) it can't be remotely exploited. Anyway, what happens is this:

1. You delete all the .plist files in ~/Library/Preferences.
2. You log out of Mac OS X.
3. You try to log back in, but the login screen does not respond, so you reboot your Mac.
4. Once it finishes rebooting, you try to get your preferences back to the way you like them, but your changes don't "stick".
5. You post a thread about this issue on MacRumors Forums, and get a reply saying to restore a backup of your profile or reinstall Mac OS X without saving the users.

Anyone else experienced this issue, and have any alternative suggestions for fixing it? I am not experiencing this problem right now, but I have in the past, and what I posted is what I ended up doing.

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
In my experience, when I have trouble with any preferences "sticking", it usually helps if that application is the only thing open when I try to change a preference. Could be worth a shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.