Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DennisBlah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
The Netherlands
Hi all,

I just started with more device groups than just 1 default one.
Reason:
For about 70% of clients I need to perform parental control to only allow certain webpages. Which I took as 'default' on enrollment.

Other clients I made a placeholder and add them manually to other devicegroups

Now on enrolling it seems to go pretty well and it took away the parental control limits.

Would this be considered a 'bad practice'?
I don't want to write down all computernames and serialnumbers because that would be a lot of work..
(I hate a lot of repetive work, and would waste time and effort on scripting it for one time only)

Any advice on above? I have issue's with restrictions on the preferences screen.
Default disabled lots of options, and the other group has then enabled. As far as tested till now I end up with 100% disabled options.

Also I seem to miss my network accounts when they already logged in once before.
When I set checkmark to show network accounts it shows ALL available accounts :)

DennisBlah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
The Netherlands
Yes, results will be unpredictable if profiles conflict.

Indeed conflicting as in overlapping:
default enrollment profiles contains parental control, ONLY allow following.
It was worth a try, from global and customer perspective I have to lockdown internet for all operators except their process required pages, but office can have internet..
Thank god I tested it good first

And other device group of the device placeholder, has parentalcontrol to allow all. Just depends which one loads last

Ah well, now I'm forced to go 100% placeholders. Missing some cli commands, and some python project pmcli is not working anymore I ended up with direct postgresql commands..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.