Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
My Mac has 54 programs running in the background without any activity on my part. I have just installed Snow Leopard OSX 10.6.8 and getting around to using it. Having problems sending e mail I was advised it may be due to the background activities. If so, how do I eliminate these background running programs ?

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Those are the default background services. They should not be disabled and cannot be disabled without breaking things.

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
Thanks Intell, I'll forget about them. However I still wonder why I cannot send mail but can receive it. The setup is the same on the PC as in Mac which are duel booting on my Mac.and mail can both send & receive on the PC.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Thanks Intell, I'll forget about them. However I still wonder why I cannot send mail but can receive it. The setup is the same on the PC as in Mac which are duel booting on my Mac.and mail can both send & receive on the PC.

When you set up the Account, did you select "Use Authentication" for SMTP or IMAP, can't remember which.

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
The server “smtp-server.tampabay.rr.com” refused to allow a connection on the default ports.

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent.

Sending from: Lewis Knudsen <lewk2@tampabay.rr.com>

This is the message I get, i use the port(s) as suggested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.