Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckdude12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
Hi,
Please, don't give me a lecture on "the password fail-safe protects your system". Of course it does, I'm not stupid. It's annoying to have to keep typing in a password when all I want to do is change one small computer control.
I coded my own system monitoring program. It monitors Ghz usage, temperature, fan speeds, the whole kit, missing the caboodle. Anyhow, Mac isn't recognizing it as my own program, and I've tried multiple work arounds, but it keeps requiring a password when I want to disable overclocking, enabling etc. I don't only have an issue with my program, it's also a problem for security suites.

TLDR: Is there a way to give a program permanent access to your computer, never requiring a password?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
My first guess is that you didn't sign your app, and you have the Security setting set to not run unsigned apps.

What programming language or system did you write your app in?

What are the "multiple workarounds" you've tried? If you read them at a website, simply posting a URL so we can read them would be fine.

Details can be important, so the more info you provide, the more likely it is that someone can figure things out.

puckdude12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
My first guess is that you didn't sign your app, and you have the Security setting set to not run unsigned apps.

What programming language or system did you write your app in?

What are the "multiple workarounds" you've tried? If you read them at a website, simply posting a URL so we can read them would be fine.

Details can be important, so the more info you provide, the more likely it is that someone can figure things out.

what I meant is that it does run. it runs fine. perfectly fine. But say I want to disable turbo-boost, it requires a password. I hate this because I can't use "hey Siri, perform x command" when I'm in the kitchen and my MacBooks in my room (look up a video tut for how to do "hey Siri", there's a workaround).

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
How does your program disable turbo-boost?

System settings like that are generally only available to root (superuser). To run as root, you need a mechanism to elevate the privilege of a child process. For example, the 'sudo' command is one way to do it, but that's not simple to run except from a shell. AppleScript also has a way to do this. There are other mechanisms available in other programming languages.

Please state which programming language you wrote your program in.

I don't understand what "Hey Siri" has to do with this. Please explain.

When you wrote "a program", did you mean that you made a Siri shortcut?

What device is in your kitchen that responds to "Hey Siri", when your MacBook is in your room?

You're not explaining the details of your configuration or exactly what you've done. If I look up a video tut, I might get a different one than what you saw.

If you can't be specific about what you've done or exactly what you've tried, then I can't offer any other suggestions.

Last edited:

puckdude12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
You guys are overthinking it. I just have one simple question. Can you make it so a password is not required every time you do something on a program. Whenever I want to start up the program, it requires a password. Is there a workaround?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.