Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slip Jigs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
If you are talking about syncing mail, contacts and calendar to your computer all you have to do is set it to auto sync and specify the interval. ?

dieseltwitch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
No i have a work folder that i would like to keep synced between my laptop and my imac. i do a lot of work on the road and want it to all match. short of a VPN i cant find a way..... i would like a VPN but i cant justify OS X Server to do it. at least not yet

BroadcastDoc

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
If you're using a Mac, use your iDisk...

Simply turn iDisk syncing on, place the folder out on your iDisk, then create an alias to the folder on each computer (that alias is optional - I do this with my folders in my "Documents" folder). It works just like it was local, but syncs up to the MobileMe server. The other computer pulls down the changes automatically, and syncs it to its local iDisk.

Everything is the same everywhere! :)

dieseltwitch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008

Simply turn iDisk syncing on, place the folder out on your iDisk, then create an alias to the folder on each computer (that alias is optional - I do this with my folders in my "Documents" folder). It works just like it was local, but syncs up to the MobileMe server. The other computer pulls down the changes automatically, and syncs it to its local iDisk.

I thought about that but heres the problem, what if i need a file and i'm not able to connect to the iDisk.

I'm trying out the Transmit program. I think that will work in conjunction with the idisk idea

dieseltwitch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
I thought about that but heres the problem, what if i need a file and i'm not able to connect to the iDisk.

I'm trying out the Transmit program. I think that will work in conjunction with the idisk idea

Haha i just figured out how to buypas the problem i just talked about.....

BroadcastDoc

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI

You do know that if you turn iDisk syncing on, that it creates a local copy on your computer so you don't need to be online, right? Just work with your files, and the next time you're online, the changes will sync automatically.

Much easier than using transmit.

marsbaby

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2008
But how with multiple macs on one idisk?

What about if you have a macbook and a imac (or 2 like me) you want to keep synced automatically? My experience is that I get prompted al the time with questions on what file to keep the one on a computer or at mobile me... tedious and error prone (loosing work done...):(

For me Idisk proofs therefore no solution. I have done all in my knowledge to set simple sharing folder were I can centrally put files that can be used from various machines. I dreaded the day that i was to admit I long for the/a windows solution: just map a folder g, partition or disk on other pc in the home network, give it a disk letter that is free and presto the folder acts as a true disk on your own computer.... (no need for synching for no multiple users are using same files)

(NB the problem I do not seem to be able to tackle: a folder and all of its contents can be set to accept read and write settings for a given user. A new file generated though will only get the base security settings , these files are then read only and can not be saved without renaming them by the other computer(s).

Before people start flaming: I have contacted apple helpdesk several times on this and they see no solution within apple for this very simple home network demand.

Anybody knows how to easily share docs and use them in a home network environment?

JW

BroadcastDoc

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I sync three macs, and very rarely do I get prompted about a change. There might be something unique to your setup.

I've been doing this for a while, and haven't lost anything, or had permission problems...it has "just worked".

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
I actually spent a lot of time looking for this possibility within MM / iDisk, but gave up when I found DropBox

A free account will only give you a 2GB storage, but it's more than enough to keep my Work folder synched across three Mac computers.

Dropbox proves it's easy to accomplish, so I wonder why Apple hasn't been able to implement this in iDisk.

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
Not sure I follow. Apple does do this in iDisk already.
It does not appear to do that on my Macs. At least, not when I'm working locally in My Documents folder (which I synced with iDisk). I have to work on the iDisk server to have it sync automatically and I haven't been able to find out how to automatically sync my local Documents folder with iDisk. Dropbox does this easily.

BroadcastDoc

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
All you need to do is create folders for your documents out on your iDisk, and then create aliases to those items in your documents folder.

Instant automatic sync of all of your documents.

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
All you need to do is create folders for your documents out on your iDisk, and then create aliases to those items in your documents folder.

Instant automatic sync of all of your documents.
I'll give that a try: never thought of that solution.

But does creating the alias mean I can also work offline with my files and iDisk will automatically upload the newest versions to all of my Macs?

BroadcastDoc

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Yep. Just be sure to turn iDisk syncing on. What that does is create a copy of your iDisk on your Mac, which allows you to use it offline. Any changes you make will then be automatically synced the next time you're online.

To make it easy to navigate, I just created a folder called "Documents" on my iDisk, and then created the folder structure inside of that. Those folders are the ones that get aliased to /user/Documents.

Just remember that for the stuff to sync, it needs to be placed in a folder that's aliased out to the iDisk. Anything that's just dropped into /user/Documents won't sync up.

It sounds much more difficult than it really is. I've used it this way for years, and it works great!

NateP

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2005
Just trying to figure this out. I store the actual documents (such as my Documents folder that now resides on my hard drive) on iDisk, and then I create aliases to those on my MacBook harddrive? So everything lives up in the cloud, and I just access local copies?

Can i do this with my entire documents folder?

BroadcastDoc

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I haven't tried it with the entire folder, so I don't know if that would work...I'm thinking that it won't.

Otherwise yes, what you want to do is create folders for your documents on your iDisk, and create aliases to those folders in your documents folder. Then, any document you place in the aliased folder gets put on your iDisk and synced to the cloud.

BroadcastDoc

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
In theory, as long as you have your local iDisk, you're good if your sub expires (it "unmounts" from MM and becomes a disk image). If your files were to disappear off of the MM server, there would be an issue.

I haven't had any issues in the few years that I've done it, but the standard disclaimers apply...always backup your files!

I use Time Machine, so if something were to happen, I could pull my files off of an old version of my local iDisk.

In theory, as long as you have your local iDisk, you're good if your sub expires (it "unmounts" from MM and becomes a disk image). If your files were to disappear off of the MM server, there would be an issue.

I haven't had any issues in the few years that I've done it, but the standard disclaimers apply...always backup your files!

I use Time Machine, so if something were to happen, I could pull my files off of an old version of my local iDisk.

Good point. I am lazy in that department, I usually burn some discs of important files every few months but I should look into a TC or something. :eek:

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
So I tried this alias-thing for a bit, but iDisk is ridiculously slow: even replacing a folder within the folder-structure initiates a whole new sync process that last hours.

I'm back to DropBox again and I'm seriously considering upgrading to a billed account. Imo, there's no competition between iDisk and Dropbox: Dropbox wins by a long shot.

BroadcastDoc

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
As long as it works for you, that's what matters.

While the initial setup takes some time with MobileMe (I just let mine do it's thing overnight - you can start and stop the sync process) after it's done it syncs very fast, and does it in the background with no user input. You forget it's there working after a while!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.