Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BostonQuad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2015
tl;dr: Some apps run much hotter than they need to. I'm surprised Apple doesn't check this before being accepted into the app store, as I expect running hot to indicate unnecessary battery drain, and is easily avoidable by better programming. Any insight? Are running temps not checked as part of app store acceptance?

Detail:
I have an iPad game (Wing Span) that consistently runs inexplicably hot, even on the opening screen. When I launch it on my M1 Air, iStats reports temps these temps:
1643999134011.png

TG Pro reports even higher temperatures (>200℉). This happens even on the opening screen, with trivial animation and sound. Clearly something is wrong. I've noticed Messages also, on rare occasions, drains power and sends temps soaring. But this is rare, which makes offending code harder to track down. The app Wing Span consistently does this.

(My questions are in the tl;dr)

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
There are restrictions on memory utilization but not on processor - it wouldn't make sense to restrict processor utilization.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.