Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elfusca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
There are a lot of college- and company-wifi which you cannot access with an iphone or ipod touch because they do not support 802.1x. I have searched the web for days to find a solution and I am pretty sure that there is not a simple solution for this issue.

So I thought about programming an app to make the ipod touch to support 802.1X.

The only thing I could find is the following site, but I have not enough knowledge about programmings apps for the iphone/ipot touch.

Could somebody who knows this stuff check this site: http://open1x.sourceforge.net/?

I think it could be a possibility to program such an app.

nukiduz

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
I know nothing about iPod developing but am in the same situation as you (and like every european uni student I guess). There are threads at apple.com asking Apple to develop a software update to make iPod/iPhone support 802.1X and lots of people have sent a feature request through the web page. I hope Apple listens and does something but it would be so great if somebody could do it because I'm not sure if Apple is going to do somethin..

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
There's an early version of xsupplicant that supports osx but I've never managed to get any life out of it on a standard mac let alone an ipod (it just kind of sits there, and I haven't had the time to put some debugging in to work out why). The latest xsupplicant also claims support but its wifi support relies on a proprietary binary blob that is not publically available - so you can't recompile it for the arm processor.

There's wpa_supplicant which does stuff (prints debug messages at least) but doesn't appear to actually work.

Compiling the darwin 802.1x support is a no go because some of the required functions are missing from the ipod/iphone kernel.

Haven't got any further than that, although I may look at it again sometime.

btw. Apple seemed to plan to do it even with the early iphone software - the iphone UI has support all the way back to 1.0.2.. it's just never invoked. You can edit a plist to put the UI back but it doesn't work of course because the framework doesn't support it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.