Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
I know that you can force a link to open in current window, different fame, or new window. With Safari's tabbed browsing features is it possible to force a link to open in a new tab, or maybe in already open tab?? With all the IE only content, it would be great to see sites that could incorporate code that works better on Safari than IE. ;)

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
there is no way to do this as it's not specified in the html definition and no browser supports custom commands for it. tabbed browsing has only hit the mainstream fairly recently (i'm not sure, but i don't think the official version of IE6 has tabs yet). i'm fairly sure that it will become a standard sometime soon or somebody (probably microsoft) will implement a proprietary command for it.

if you want to make a website with content that works in safari but that IE can't handle, try designing sites with CSS text-shadows and rgba color values. all of it is w3c compliant, but safari's the only browser to support it. yet.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Good suggestions, FattyMembrane. If you want to exclude IE, do it with standards.

Here's another one that works in anything but IE: PNG partial transparency.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.