Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mfrazee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
Hi everyone, new to the forum here.

I don’t consider myself a computer wiz, though I know more than the average consumer.

I’ve been having bizarre issues come up since installing High Sierra, so I tried to do a factory reset of my 2017 MacBook Pro. I erased my drive and restarted the computer, but now when I turn it on I get a black screen with a white circle and a diagonal slash through it, similar to a no smoking sign. I found online that this is a “prohbitlrh signal” and means that there’s an issue with my startup disk. When trying to do first aid on it through disk utility, I got an error saying to do first aid from recovery, even though that was exactly what I was doing (or at least thought I was doing.) Disk utility is also now showing multiple drives that have never appeared before. When I tried to reinstall MacOS, I got an error message.

Can anybody please recommend a fix for this? I can’t get it beyond the Mac recovery screen and the OS won’t install so I’m stuck. I also don’t totally understand some of the threads I’ve read on this, so if possible please dumb down the solution a bit!

Many thanks!
[doublepost=1511070193][/doublepost]Prohibitory sign! Big typo, sorry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.