Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guilty-pleasure

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
hey guys.. I'm new to this forum, but I would really appreciate any & all input. I'm looking to purchase an iphone 3G in the coming week. however, I can't decide whether to get the black or white one. if any of you already have an iphone, would you be able to post pics up? basically, what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a black or white iphone? what qualities make one better than the other? "thank you" to everyone who replies!

Next Tuesday

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2006
Orlando,FL
hey guys.. I'm new to this forum, but I would really appreciate any & all input. I'm looking to purchase an iphone 3G in the coming week. however, I can't decide whether to get the black or white one. if any of you already have an iphone, would you be able to post pics up? basically, what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a black or white iphone? what qualities make one better than the other? "thank you" to everyone who replies!

The black one is a fingerprint magnet. You can clean the whole phone and touch it one time and its like 100 lil midgets molested your phone with oily hands. lol. The white one you wont see fingerprints but im sure it will look dirtier as time progresses. If you are gettin a case for it, it doesnt really matter cuz u will be covering it up anyhow.

ottergal

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
I have a black one.. and to be honest the smudges on the touchscreen are more annoying to me than any fingerprints on the back. Maybe everyone else is really greasy or something, but I just don't see it as being as big of an issue as folks are making of it.

Or maybe they are just way more particular than me, which is fine, too. :) Any way you look at it, this is not a phone for the OCD folks because it WILL get fingerprints/smudges whatever on it. It's shiny, that's the price.

I got mine on Friday, so it's been a couple of days playing with it. Still glad I got black. I like that the seamless look that it has in terms of color. Feels like the metal is an enhancement in that case.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I have a black one.. and to be honest the smudges on the touchscreen are more annoying to me than any fingerprints on the back. Maybe everyone else is really greasy or something, but I just don't see it as being as big of an issue as folks are making of it.

Or maybe they are just way more particular than me, which is fine, too. :) Any way you look at it, this is not a phone for the OCD folks because it WILL get fingerprints/smudges whatever on it. It's shiny, that's the price.

I got mine on Friday, so it's been a couple of days playing with it. Still glad I got black. I like that the seamless look that it has in terms of color. Feels like the metal is an enhancement in that case.

I feel the exact same way. I knew when choosing the black that the smudges would be a consequence but it was never a doubt I wanted the black. The smudges on the screen are annoying me a hell of a lot more than the back. I am looking into a clear protector but there are so many. I might just grab the ones at the apple stores. They have awesome reviews so far.

Then just get a cool case and not worry about my OCD for the back that much. :D

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Get WHITE, Baby!

I did, and it's awesome!

Forget smudges and scratches, they don't exist! :cool:

I bagged it from the Apple Store, Trafford, yesterday.

Here are some of the photos I took

R-Fly

Attachments

• DSCF3127.JPG
    DSCF3127.JPG
    614 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCF3129.JPG
    DSCF3129.JPG
    472.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCF3132.JPG
    DSCF3132.JPG
    687.8 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF3137.JPG
    DSCF3137.JPG
    795.1 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCF3138.jpg
    DSCF3138.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 80

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I went black but got to see the white up close yesterday and realized I would have been happy with either. My first thought was that the white was too much of a contrast with the chrome/black on front but it actually works quite nicely together. I would say go with your gut... they're both beautiful, but you'll probably see way less white ones out there.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Go with your gut. I thought the black might bug with the fingerprints but after an initial few touches and prints on the back it now seems to just look fine...no real prints sticking out at all. Black looks great so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.