Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What are the differences between these two icons and where is each used?
Is there a way so that a designer's work can be protected from being copied etc.?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 15.55.17.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 15.55.17.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 166

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
Is there a way so that a designer's work can be protected from being copied etc.?
In this day and age? Not really, no. Posting artwork, videos, photography, or even literature somewhere online there is a decent chance someone will take it, be it for innocent or.. we'll say "malicious" intent.

There are literally bots, that scour social media, heisting images to create cheap t-shirts. It's a low cost operation which brings in enough revenue to enable them to continue doing so. On all the backs of artists who won't ever see a dime from it.

Having a difficult to remove watermark can help, but not always. Years ago I would post things on DeviantArt, and many times I would find these images posted elsewhere, without permission, and the area were my watermark was had been simply cropped out. I guess it's my fault for not positioning the watermark better, but I didn't want it to hamper the art, as I wanted people to see it how I created it in full, rather than comprised with a faded watermark and compressed quality.

Reactions: Coheebuzz and zoran

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
You are automatically protected by the copyright act, the symbol is for sending a warning message that you are serious about taking legal action in case of copy which doesn't reliably work against thieves to begin with.

As for the difference, the ™ (trademark) and ® (registered) are for registered trademarks, that is a copyrighted graphic that has been legally established to represent a company or product. For example "the Apple logo is a registered trademark of Apple Computers".

Last edited:

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
You are automatically protected by the copyright act, the symbol is for sending a warning message that you are serious about taking legal action in case of copy which doesn't reliably work against thieves to begin with.

As for the difference, the ™ (trademark) and ® (registered) are for registered trademarks, that is a copyrighted graphic that has been legally established to represent a company or product. For example "the Apple logo is a registered trademark of Apple Computers".
So placing the C icon doesn't really do much, just gives a warning to possible thieves?

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
We can argue that it gives an impression of legitimacy and authenticity to consumers, it's another small part of your overall character.

But as for protecting you from piracy then no, don't be surprised to find your designs in sketchy clip-art websites, trademarked or not. You can however pursue legal action if your pirated design is being used by a company in a country that gives a damn.

Reactions: zoran

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
A friend of mine creates cute little drawn characters in a very particular style which is immediately identifiable as his. In China and Hong Kong someone sent him photos of a line of clothing that seems quite popular and is selling well - sporting his designs without permission.

The Chinese clothing company hijacked his designs, and is making good money off him. And he can't do a darn thing about it.

He sent a cease and desist letter, mails, etcetera, but they're just ghosting him. No response, and taking actual legal action is just about impossible unless you are, or have the backing of, a semi-large company, have access to a middle-man in location, and have access to well-endowed legal funds.

So he is powerless, and others are enriching themselves using his original work.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
#Herbert Based on what you said, how safe is it for one to post pictures of his works, on a site with an open view to the public, like Behance or similar?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Specifically what would you do with Behance? Can a designer deactivate some of his works and when needed to be shown to simply just reactivate them back, for small periods of time?

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
You can buy the entire Behance on AliExpress for $3.50, don't let it concern you and focus on getting the business of those who actually value your work and their reputation.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Judge Judy even said "you put it on the internet, consider it stolen!"
i never post anything i need published online,
the ® is registered by the Government as a logo, etc.
while © is published work protected by the publisher, as a cartoon, etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.