Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martinocando

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
There is a thread before this talking about switching between the Smart Keyboard and a case. But what I'm looking for is some kind of bumper to help protect the 12.9 iPad when I remove it from the Magic Keyboard. Imagine just taking it off for a quick read, and putting it back on after a few minutes. Or just simply to show a picture to a customer or something like that. I don't want to be swapping cases in and out. I just want something to be able to handle it more securely. The iPad can be quite slippery and a simple bumper with an open back might be pretty useful. What I mean is that it will stay on the iPad and I don't need to remove it. I can see that the lower part is too close to the keyboard, so I understand if it won't protect all sides, but something is better than nothing.

The only thing I've found so far is this: SwitchEasy CoverBuddy [2021 Upgrade] Magnetic Case for 2021 iPad Pro 12.9 Inch (5th Gen), Compatible with Magic Keyboard/Smart Folio, Ultra Slim Protective Case,Keyboard Not Included (12.9", Black)

It seems to work, although I'm sure it'll add much more weight to an already heavy device, duplicating magnets. And the ratings are not very reassuring.

Is there such a thing available?

Last edited:

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I went through the same process of looking for something when I purchased my 2018 11pro.
At one point I considered using a skin, but eventually I concluded that the best case for this iPad is AppleCare+.
It is a bit pricey, but it gives me peace of mind.

johntw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2016

You can find these on Amazon:

PITAKA Magnetic Case for iPad Pro 12.9 Inch 2020 (4th Genertion) & 2018 (3rd Genration)

PITAKA Magnetic Case for iPad Pro 2021 12.9" 5th gen [MagEZ Case 2]

martinocando

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013

You can find these on Amazon:

PITAKA Magnetic Case for iPad Pro 12.9 Inch 2020 (4th Genertion) & 2018 (3rd Genration)

PITAKA Magnetic Case for iPad Pro 2021 12.9" 5th gen [MagEZ Case 2]

Well, looks like is the only option. $60 is a stretch, but if it can help me grab my iPP more securely when not in the magic keyboard, I'll get it.

How about durability?

martinocando

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
The SwitchEasy would be have been perfect if not for that giant pencil slot.
Yeah. Exactly. My 12.9 iPP barely fits inside my camera bag, and with the protruding pencil slot it'll be just too tall. And I don't carry my pencil conected to the iPad all the time, but in a slot in my bag. I just purchased the Pitaka. A bit on the expensive side, but I understand that is not just a cover, but it has all the magnets and stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.