Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
Hi all,

I am in the process of buying an iPad Pro 12.9 and will buy the Magic Keyboard with it as I a student who types a lot of notes.
I am very particular with my tech and wanted recommendations for a good protective case that works with the Magic Keyboard as I want a case to protect the iPad when I want to write on the iPad and not use the Magic Keyboard ?

I have seen some people recommend the Pitaka MagEZ case which works with the Magic Keyboard, but I have read that it does not cover all the sides of the iPad and the build quality of the case is not the best.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I use the Pitaka MagEZ case with my M1 12.9 and am quite happy with it. It doesn't cover the bottom side because if it did, you could not close the keyboard case with it on it - not enough clearance between the bottom of the iPad and the keyboard hinge.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
I use the Pitaka MagEZ case with my M1 12.9 and am quite happy with it. It doesn't cover the bottom side because if it did, you could not close the keyboard case with it on it - not enough clearance between the bottom of the iPad and the keyboard hinge.
How do you find the build quality for the case?
I am debating if I should get this or get a separate case like the Mous or Zugu case to use when I am not using the Magic Keyboard...

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
How do you find the build quality for the case?
I am debating if I should get this or get a separate case like the Mous or Zugu case to use when I am not using the Magic Keyboard...

Fine, with no problems. It's tin enough that I can leave it on and put the iPad in a magnetic case (I use a TORRO). Makes for easy transition.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I have the Pitaka for the 12.9. It held up pretty well but the bottom plastic part that wraps on the bottom actually broke on one side and cracked on the other. It's inevitable because the plastic is so thin, so I actually ordered a spare. I wouldn't say that it's built to last forever because of the thin nature of the case.

But for me, because the case is magnetic, it "sticks" onto music stands which is important for me.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
I have the Pitaka for the 12.9. It held up pretty well but the bottom plastic part that wraps on the bottom actually broke on one side and cracked on the other. It's inevitable because the plastic is so thin, so I actually ordered a spare. I wouldn't say that it's built to last forever because of the thin nature of the case.

But for me, because the case is magnetic, it "sticks" onto music stands which is important for me.
Why don't you purchase a Mous or Zugu case instead?

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
I have a Zugu for my 12.9 (and cellular Mini 6) but don't use it on the 12.9 because it's more difficult to put on and remove. Great protection, though and well made.
Yes that's the thing
That's why I was looking for a case that can work with the magic keyboard as removing the case constantly from the Zugu for example when you want to use the magic keyboard will become tedious and tiresome. It also means you may have to carry both the Zugu and Magic keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.