Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Hi folks,

Just some preliminary research.

Many moons ago (decade+) I bought the Invisible Shield film from ZAGG and this included protection for every surface of my old MBP. Ended up just using the film on the outsides/sides and it held up many years, matter of fact had I found the original receipt, this company would have replaced it even.
Unfortunately they (ZAGG) seem to no longer offer products for laptops. Has anyone had luck finding/ using a similar product for their MBPs?

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Both DecalGirl and DBrand offer skins for multiple devices. I have used DecalGirl in the past with a full skin (top, bottom, keyboard/trackpad area), and I have a DBrand skin on the lid of my 14" MBP. DecalGirl allows you to use a custom image for the skin if you desire, I didn't try that with DBrand, opting for their carbon fiber skin instead.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Both DecalGirl and DBrand offer skins for multiple devices. I have used DecalGirl in the past with a full skin (top, bottom, keyboard/trackpad area), and I have a DBrand skin on the lid of my 14" MBP. DecalGirl allows you to use a custom image for the skin if you desire, I didn't try that with DBrand, opting for their carbon fiber skin instead.
Thanks so much for those recommendations, will check them out when I return to Europe (if available). How did you find the application process? Mainly am interested in covering lid and base. I recall with ZAGG it was wet application and ended quite happily bubble/ crease free.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Thanks so much for those recommendations, will check them out when I return to Europe (if available). How did you find the application process? Mainly am interested in covering lid and base. I recall with ZAGG it was wet application and ended quite happily bubble/ crease free.
Both of the companies I mentioned use vinyl decals. No water or special adhesive needed, and it's relatively easy to apply the decals properly using nothing more than a squeegee to make sure there are no air bubbles. I would say that the DBrand decals have some additional information in the package regarding the application process, so that would probably be advantageous for people who have never applied such items before.

Reactions: Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
Struggling to find any of those on the Amazon.de store. Would anyone have a link that I can follow into the German site with to see if it's shippable.

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
I was using Best Skins Ever for all my devices. Great company terrible customer service. They are gone now .. I ordered from Slick Wraps and they offer clear Matte, Glossy & New 3m Ultra Matte. Great Customer service as well! Products are cut perfect and its hard to tell that there is a skin on it.
That being said, I also stumbled on Wrap Bros. They too have an amazing product. I actually liked their product as much as SW .. Wrap Bros material has a matte finish and a slight matte feel unlike most that are smooth! They ship out of the UK and takes about a week to arrive. Christian at customer service is on point as well ! Cant make a wrong choice with either company.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
I was using Best Skins Ever for all my devices. Great company terrible customer service. They are gone now .. I ordered from Slick Wraps and they offer clear Matte, Glossy & New 3m Ultra Matte. Great Customer service as well! Products are cut perfect and its hard to tell that there is a skin on it.
That being said, I also stumbled on Wrap Bros. They too have an amazing product. I actually liked their product as much as SW .. Wrap Bros material has a matte finish and a slight matte feel unlike most that are smooth! They ship out of the UK and takes about a week to arrive. Christian at customer service is on point as well ! Cant make a wrong choice with either company.

Thank you for the links and feedback. Amazon.de appears not to have any so I'll have to work out shipping, import and goods tax from US or the UK for those.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
@harleymhs I quite like the M2 2023 Naked skin from SW, albeit the 4 diff finishes confuse the matter (any advice?). Shipment and taxes aside, it's almost $20 deerer than the wrapshop variant but seems to include track pad covering also (that I prob won't fit). I'll contact both companies and work out final costs from the US or UK.

PS: Goof policy included with the SW product lol

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I should have included the DBrand and DecalGirl links when I posted the first time.

Decal Girl

DBrand

I have used both companies products and have no issues with either one. I will add that Decal Girl does allow you to use your own photo or image to create a custom skin for your Mac.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 13, 2020
I should have included the DBrand and DecalGirl links when I posted the first time.

Decal Girl

DBrand

I have used both companies products and have no issues with either one. I will add that Decal Girl does allow you to use your own photo or image to create a custom skin for your Mac.
Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.