Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
The same - nothing to hide but I choose to keep my data, and information private. I also have been working to take steps to protect it from hackers. My laptop is stolen, will they have access to my tax returns? For me its a work in progress and my steps taken need to be balanced with integrating with my usage. If its difficult to retrieve, use my data the odds are the safety measures will be skipped.
As it should be. Personal is personal. Period nothing more, nothing less. Done with all this profiling and data capture. What I'll know and do know is I will block them all on macOS & W10/W11...

Q-6

gregmac19

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
Since the datacenter and home office is in Switzerland, its out of reach from the 5/9/14 eyes consortium tutanota is not. I'm sure its a fine product but I think I get more bang for my buck, and the services offered by protonmail meet my needs..
Here is a story about Proton Mail you might find interesting:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Reactions: Queen6

gregmac19

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
I'm aware it, and yet the french authorities were unable to gain anything since the data was encrypted.
They were able to gain the indentiy of the user, correct?

I trust Tutanota more than Proton.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Man all this talk about encoring your email I did this back in Zeros with a Mail plugin the encrypted the email and then a public key was used on his end to decrypt the email! It was great test but is no longer supported anymore!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Man all this talk about encoring your email
My perspective is that I want a privacy minded company that does a great job at managing spam and unwanted emails that offers some nice services. For me, ProtonMail (so far) does this very well. I like the idea that my emails are encrypted on the server, but how I use emall, I don't need it encrypted to the recipient and send him/her a password to read it.

iCloud isn't a bad service but I have less control over spam and I'm getting too many emails in my inbox that are clearly spam, phishing and scams. Some of them that are making it through are mass emails to my .me account, with hundreds of other .me people included in the to line. I'm not sure why apple didn't stop that, it was quite evident.

Queen6

macrumors G4
My perspective is that I want a privacy minded company that does a great job at managing spam and unwanted emails that offers some nice services. For me, ProtonMail (so far) does this very well. I like the idea that my emails are encrypted on the server, but how I use emall, I don't need it encrypted to the recipient and send him/her a password to read it.

iCloud isn't a bad service but I have less control over spam and I'm getting too many emails in my inbox that are clearly spam, phishing and scams. Some of them that are making it through are mass emails to my .me account, with hundreds of other .me people included in the to line. I'm not sure why apple didn't stop that, it was quite evident.
Privacy is an ever diminishing factor on the web due to the greed of companies. Proton stands out as they offer both free and paid services.

Proton is a privacy minded company as is my VPN. While the vast majority of people dont care or are simply not aware. I for one personally very much value privacy and I'm willing to pay for such services and to date they have yet to fail...

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: tonyob

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

As former network administrator iCloud has ups and downs! sometimes it seems people in apple especially developers seem not to talk with each other and sometimes they screw things up with iCloud! The reason why I like iCloud is a usr can use now their own personal email as an alias and supported my experiment with securing email with friend the send encrypted email to each other using the private/puplic encryption service back in zeros! That really surprised me at that time!

gregmac19

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
Privacy is an ever diminishing factor on the web due to the greed of companies. Proton stands out as they offer both free and paid services.

Proton is a privacy minded company as is my VPN. While the vast majority of people dont care or are simply not aware. I for one personally very much value privacy and I'm willing to pay for such services and to date they have yet to fail...

Q-6
Proton may be privacy-minded, but it surely seems as if Tutanota put more thought into the process. Proton’s inability to encrypt the email subject line seems like an odd omission to me. If I am sending an email and don’t want anyone but the recipient to be able to read the contents, I probably don’t want anyone else reading the subject line either.

Additionally, as you likely know, Tutanota offers free accounts as well. Furthermore, the cheapest premium plan for Proton is $47.88/year, whereas with Tutanota it is 12 Euro (currently, $12.97/year).

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
Proton may be privacy-minded, but it surely seems as if Tutanota put more thought into the process. Proton’s inability to encrypt the email subject line seems like an odd omission to me. If I am sending an email and don’t want anyone but the recipient to be able to read the contents, I probably don’t want anyone else reading the subject line either.

Additionally, as you likely know, Tutanota offers free accounts as well. Furthermore, the cheapest premium plan for Proton is $47.88/year, whereas with Tutanota it is 12 Euro (currently, $12.97/year).
I use the free plan as that's all I currently need as the recipient list is few. Should I need more Tutanota is an option or I'll pay for a premium plan. As said I'm willing to pay for privacy and do so, my VPN cuts through everything and worth it's weight in gold...

Q-6

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Biggest reasons .....
I use the whole suite. Now they have a family option with up to six unique users (accounts) and 3TB.

I started using PM when it first cam out just to see what it was. Found it worked for me.

Spam is pretty much gone.
I can use it on iOS/iPadOS, Android, MacOS, Windows, and in most browsers.
I now feed my left over couple of GMail accounts into it as those sloooowwwly get wrapped up.
Just bought a new house and found most of the folks U dealt with used it.
Encryption is good, could be better.
Have had zero issues. Down a couple of times but that is it.
It has been very dependable.
Only current complaint is it is bloody slow to load in iOS.
It is growing and getting better all the time.
Proton actually listens to its users.
Have had no real issues getting help when needed.
It has made email life easier for me. :cool:

There are other options out there, maybe better from a mail perspective, however not enough to get me to switch.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Apple introduced iTools (now iCloud) back in 2000, I signed up early and have been largely using that as my exclusive email since. I'm actually kind of surprised its that old. I had to google when apple introduced iTools. Anyways, probably for the past few years I got lazy and used my actual email address when filling out information on websites. Nothing sketchy, or bad, just normal commerce, social, nondescript sites. Time has caught up to me where I can easily have 1,000 unopened emails with the vast majority of them being spammy

My wife has been using Hotmail since I've known her and its crippling for her

I'm making progress in my migration, each morning, where I get emails, I'll go through my inbox and either select unsubscribe - for non-sketchy emails, a filter to delete the incoming emails from that sender or update my email settings to move it to ProtonMail.

I'm estimating that within a month I should start to notice a significant decrease in what's ending up in my icloud email address. I'm still going to keep using it, but it won't be my primary email address

My wife has an original @msn account and ouch! Plus a GMail for a catch all.
In the process of moving her to PM.

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I've hit pause on my transition from iCloud, for no particular reason other then I was focusing my time on other things in my life.

I had setup the catchall feature of protonmail and after having that turned on for a period of time, I removed it. I was getting unsolicited mail sent to all sorts of combinations of various email address and my domain. Instead of tweaking the spam rules, I just turned it off. So if an email is not directed to specifically defined address it will bounce.

I'm still happy with protonmail and by extension protonvpn. Having 500GB of space to use as I want, is also nice

Reactions: dk001 and Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
I've hit pause on my transition from iCloud, for no particular reason other then I was focusing my time on other things in my life.

I had setup the catchall feature of protonmail and after having that turned on for a period of time, I removed it. I was getting unsolicited mail sent to all sorts of combinations of various email address and my domain. Instead of tweaking the spam rules, I just turned it off. So if an email is not directed to specifically defined address it will bounce.

I'm still happy with protonmail and by extension protonvpn. Having 500GB of space to use as I want, is also nice
Proton's VPN doesn't work for me as it struggles to cut through the GFW as it's AI is ever evolving as is my VPN provider 👍 The mail side no complaints really good product, absolutely delivers as promised.

Am here but not really, but sure you know that already...
1685530579599.png

Q-6

it wasnt me

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2019
the internet, mostly
ProtonMail is a quite nice service, and I like to keep an account there, for one of the projects which I don't need to be assigned with my person. Honestly, in terms of privacy and security, I'd rather trust them than I'd trust Apple - after all, Apple is bound to US surveillance laws.

For everything else, my own mail server is the best choice. It took months to configure it, but at least I know who owns the data, where the data is stored and how encryption works. I understand that not everyone should run their own server though.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
as it struggles to cut through the GFW as it's AI is ever evolving
Interesting, I never considered that the GFW would use AI, makes sense in all honesty, sad nonethless but there's not much we can say w/o running afoul of the MacRumors benevolent leaders :p

I'd rather trust them than I'd trust Apple - after all, Apple is bound to US surveillance laws.
In all honesty, I consider Apple's embrace to security to be marketing then truly believing they have our best interest at heart. The whole fiasco regarding them scanning images is prime example

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Proton's VPN doesn't work for me as it struggles to cut through the GFW as it's AI is ever evolving as is my VPN provider 👍 The mail side no complaints really good product, absolutely delivers as promised.

Am here but not really, but sure you know that already...
View attachment 2210029

Q-6

Take a look at your settings for NAT.
It seemed to really affect speeds if off for some activities.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Interesting, I never considered that the GFW would use AI, makes sense in all honesty, sad nonethless but there's not much we can say w/o running afoul of the MacRumors benevolent leaders :p

In all honesty, I consider Apple's embrace to security to be marketing then truly believing they have our best interest at heart. The whole fiasco regarding them scanning images is prime example
Been a constant battle for a very long time and very much an offline/DM conversation.

Apple is like two guys being chased by a hungry tiger,. You dont need to outrun the tiger you just need to outrun the other guy. It's mostly a marketing tool IMHO, equally they are not too bad as at least they are doing something. I like in Ventura now that access to USB is now locked out to unapproved devices which makes a great deal of sense for any notebook.

Q-6

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
No much has changed, its an email account after all but it seems to be doing everything I want. I go through rounds of clean ups. I'm getting to the point do I disable my email alias on icloud, I'm not quite there but its something that I think I'll be doing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.