Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoubleA100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
I am about to purchase the ProTools MBOX that comes wit ProTools 6.1. I want to use all of its midi capabilities, but unfortunately, the MBOX doesn't include a midi I/O. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of midi interfaces that are cheap, and totally compatible with ProTools 6.1 I just purchased a 17" Powerbook, that I am totally in love with, and I can't wait to start mixing some music. All I need is 1 midi in, and 1 midi out. Midiman???

PixelFactory

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Chicago
You might want to look at MOTU and thier Fastlane interface. It retails for about $75 and has 2 midi ins and outs. I haven't had any problems with mine but I do use Digital Performer.

jazzman45

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2003
lawrence, ks
you should check out http://www.audiomidi.com

this is what i'm saving up for:
http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/product.cfm?Product_ID=3999

it's comes with --

6-in/2-out USB adapter (which also acts as a hub and does some sort of midi... it's says cinch adapter?)

Logic Gold 5 (version 6 is downloadable with version 5)

EVB3 (good hammond b3 synth)

EVP88 (good synth that emulates Fender Rhodes and others)

EXSP 24 (sampler)

Xtreme Digital (sound bank)

for $530!!!

It looks like a better deal than the MBOX to me.
Also, for $250 http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/product.cfm?Product_ID=3596 it allows you to mix 8 channels in Logic.

-tyler

johnnowak

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2003
New York, New York
Originally posted by PixelFactory
You might want to look at MOTU and thier Fastlane interface. It retails for about $75 and has 2 midi ins and outs. I haven't had any problems with mine but I do use Digital Performer.

Bingo. The MOTU Fastlane is EXACTLY what you want. It's the best cheap midi interface going. Don't let anyone tell you to get anything else. Buy now!

Midiman is ****. Avoid at all costs.. terrible drivers/support.

sfplay~

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2003
Midiman or M-audio as it has now become is not all that bad. If you're simply in the market for a midi controller their Keystation series is none too bad (built in midi to USB).

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Ask yourself this: Are you getting ProTools because you want to do a little MIDI or a lot? If it's a lot, keep looking. PT is audio first and MIDI second. True, MIDI has improved a great deal in PT 6, but it's not really the path for MIDI composition.

In that case, look to Digital Performer (good) or Logic (best). Also, look to a MOTU or Emagic interface to go with either software. Also, don't think you can't get a great deal on audio devices for both.

If MIDI is an afterthought, I'll sell you my old MIDI-Man interface. 2X2. Contact me over private message if you are interested.

Also, PM me if you would like to hear a few reasons why it is sometimes best to avoid DigiDesign all together.

Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.