Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R3k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Anyone have a chance to test this out? Will ProTools even launch I wonder?

Last edited:

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
If you rely on ProTools I wouldn't go near Ventura with a ten foot pole until Avid give you the nod.
Though mostly I find it tends to be older obsolete hardware (as in, replaced by the mfr by something current), not software/apps, which are more likely to incompatible after an OS upgrade.
On a couple of music-creators' FB groups I contribute to, I'm already reading tales of woe from early-updaters using obsolete audio interfaces, and being obsolete, they likely won't receive firmware updates to make them Ventura-friendly.

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
It's quite easy to test how it will behave. Use Disk Utility to partition your drive. Create a drive big enough to install the MacOs that you wish to try with ProTools. Install MacOs on that partition and choose it as your start up disc. Then install proTools on to it and see what you can and can't do.

Keep your current System on your original partition. If you encounter no problems on the new one with Ventura and ProTools, you can work with it for a while, or until it is certified by the ever slow acting ProTools bosses. Then you could erase the partition and update your original system.

Depending on how you work and how much of MacOs has been changed, you may or may not encounter problems. But when you work on something that is important, brings a lot of money and should be delivered in short time, don't take any risk. Use the new partition only to play. Or to import a session that is complicated and has already been finished. Then you can play around with it and see how it goes.

You can also update your current MacOs and install the version of MacOs that is certified with your ProTools version on the newly created partition and work with ProTools from that. This is what I always would do when I was curious about a new MacOs version.

olavsu1

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2022
Better take an Intel / XEON based workstation.

Pro Tools is written with the Intel XEON processor in mind. ProTools insiders said this, when I was search help about my sound card. There is no guarantee for other processors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.