Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodguyjames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Hi there! Im using protools 6.4 with a Digi 002 rack in a home studio. Im running an iMac G5 and have purchased an external harddrive where I want to be sending my raw audio data. Protools however, will not recognize this removable media as a "Recording Volume". How do I format this unit so I can use it during real-time recording? Or is this a software conflict? please advise!

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
Might be worth moving this thread to Digital Audio. Other than that Digidesigns web site has some great help on there. Sorry I cant help, its been a year since I used Pro Tools!

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
Some more information would be handy. What operating system are you using? Assuming that you're using Panther with 6.4, you should format your external drive as Mac OS Extended (non-journaled).

When you open up Pro Tools, go in to Windows > Workspace Browser (... I think) and you should see your internal drive and you external drive. A 'T' beside it indicates that it's a Transfer Volume, a 'P' indicates that it's a Playback Volume, and an 'R' indicates that it's a Record Volume. If the letter next to you drive is a T or a P, click on the letter and change it to an R.

Let us know how you get on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.