Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaosvoyager

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2002
Hey all, I finally decided to post the PowerMac that has caused me such pain, on Ebay, along with some consumer warranty rights info that I aquired along the way. You can find it by doing a search on Ebay for 'PowerMac G4 Prototype'.

Here's the original MacRumors thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13532

I know it's probably overpriced (hell, I feel uncomfortable giving this piece of crap away), but I'm trying to recover at least some of my cost on legal and hardware. Apple has been defiantly unhelpful, and has NEVER given me any correct information regarding this device, ever.

Well, they DID tell me to press the little button on the motherboard. That did fix some things for a while.

I originally wanted to raffle the thing off. That way, nobody spends a large sum of money and they get a 1 in 300 chance of winning (which are pretty good odds). However, I decided to post it as a straight auction, as a Prototype Mac might appear suspicious enough without the unusual raffle aspect.

P.S. There has been growing evidence that the Nvidia GeForce2 card installed in the machine is ALSO a prototype, but I have no definitive way to verify this. If anybody does, give me a email. Thanks.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
great so when well you post a link to the auction. it would be nice to see pictures tooo...:D

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
if it was on ebay, it's not there anymore. perhaps ebay didn't agree with the legality of selling it... or selling it as a prototype.

pnw

chaosvoyager

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2002

It was a 5 day auction, which began on the date of my post here. If you do a search under 'completed items', you'll find it there, with no bids (and yes, I know it was high, but it was either this or litigation, so I took a chance with the easier of the two first).

No conspiracy. Neither Apple nor Ebay took any kind of action. The original thread discussing the machine is on this board:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=13532

The photo montage is over here:

http://homepage.mac.com/neoamsterdam/

Notice this is a 'mac.com' hosted page. Apple has never done anything to pull this either.

The only email I received regarding the machine was from someone looking to replace the motherboard, but the motherboard can't be replaced, as it's non-standard (prototype).

Now a question you may be able to answer: do you know of anyone who has taking Apple to court over warranty issues?

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Honestly, how do you people find these threads?? do you do a search and this is what comes up?? I can't believe you would be going back so far through the archives to find them and post in them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.