Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Well im trying to connect my iMac G3 to to my DVD Recorder through iMovie. I tried connecting through a firewire port it has in the front thats meant to be used with a Video Camera, I set it up to import video from that and connected the other end to my iMac, but my iMac wont recognize it, any advice?

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
have you used the camera on anothe firewire computer succesfully? Maybe something's wrong with the imac's port? It should automatically just be plug'n play.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Well the Panasonic camera I have doesn't like to connect very much, but I tried plugging my sisters pc into the firewire, (i wanted to share a file) the PC found the Mac and saw it as "hardware" but couldn't find a driver so the sharing didnt work, I didn't check if the Mac recongnized it. The firewire port has worked on cameras that are not my Panasonic though, mainly the Canon that I use for professional video. and my CD burner.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Wait...you plugged in the FireWire Cable from the FireWire input on your DVD Recorder into the FireWire port on your iMac G3? This isn't going to work simply because the FireWire port on the DVD recorder is only In, not out. Believe me I wish it was that simple :)

If you want to import video from an analog source you need a DV bridge or a Digital converter. Good luck

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
LimeiBook86 said:
the FireWire port on the DVD recorder is only In, not out. Believe me I wish it was that simple :)

Thats kinda what i want to do, Send video from iMovie to the DVD recorder, but if the mac does not recognize it, then it wont let me send the video out.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Texas04 said:
Thats kinda what i want to do, Send video from iMovie to the DVD recorder, but if the mac does not recognize it, then it wont let me send the video out.
Oh heh, whoops my bad. Did you try to open your finished project in iMovie, and then go to "File > Share" Then choose "Videocamera"? Or was that what you've been trying so far? if that doesn't work then you can export it to a real Videocamera and then to your DVD recorder, it may take a while but then it'll work. :)

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Yes I do say export to Videocamera, but since it does not recognize my DVD recorder, it doesnt work, I would hook up my camera but my mac doesnt like my camera and vice versa. I think the firewire port on the camera is messed up. :confused: Won't work on any computer...

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Texas04 said:
Yes I do say export to Videocamera, but since it does not recognize my DVD recorder, it doesnt work, I would hook up my camera but my mac doesnt like my camera and vice versa. I think the firewire port on the camera is messed up. :confused: Won't work on any computer...
Maybe it's not enabled? I know this sounds weird but, maybe some cameras have it disabled for some reason? You can looking the menu or setup section of your camera to see if you can fiddle around with any options to get it to work. Also make sure your camera is in the right mode, for example if your camera is in recording mode iMovie won't see it but, if you put the camera in Playback mode it should work fine.

Good luck! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.