Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
Great discussion. I've had two mac minis before this - a 1.42ghz G4 I bought Spring 2006 and a 1.83ghz C2D I bought January 2009. I bought both used off of craigslist (while they were just a few months old w/ plenty of warranty left, a nice craigslist advantage) and they were mainly secondary computers for home. My primary computer is my 15" 2.2ghz MacBook Pro C2D SR and my wife's primary computer is her 1.6ghz MacBook Air. We're on those most of the time but do need something for home too.

I left my 1.83ghz C2D Mac Mini w/ my family when I moved out and now have a refurbished 2.53ghz Mac Mini on the way. I too was in debate on going with the 2.26ghz bottom of the line one, but had read that RAM alone would cost $100 to upgrade and that more RAM would cost quite a bit right now so I figured I might as well go w/ the better one and enjoy the better processor and more hard drive space. Otherwise, I would have just gone the 2.26ghz route.

Now the hunt is on for Display, keyboard, mouse, and speakers I'll be using.

With the 1.83ghz C2D Mac Mini that I left with my family I was using:
1) Dell 2408WFP I got a little over year ago from Dell for a little after $500 after tax
2) The mouse is a Logitech VX REVOLUTION WIRELESS LASER MOUSE - LOVXR I got from bhphotovideo.com around the same time for $50 even
3) The keyboard's the Apple Wireless Keyboard A1016/M9270LL-A [amazon.com] I bought off my friend (unfortunately, the left and down arrow just stopped working so I have to replace that too)
4) The speakers are Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia THX Speaker System $119 that I got from Best Buy for $119

I think new Dell 2408wfp replacement runs around $500ish. I'm wondering what comparable Apple Displays run. I was looking forward to the 27" LED when I was considering the iMac so a part of me wants to stick with that plan, but I only want to spend so much so let's see

this comment was interesting:
The Mac Mini will be connected to a Dell 24" 2407WPF-HC display which was the best investment by far I have ever done and I will tell you why.
I now have a PC desktop connected to it, a Wii and now a Mac Mini. I just switch the source from a push of a button.
And as for sound I have the all mighty Logitech Z5500 :) but have trouble finding an optical cable compatible with the mini. Those mini Toslink jack adapters are rare!...

Maybe I should look into something like this if I want to input more items to my monitor.

andrei.barbuta

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2009
Romania
Speakers

I use the Z5500 Logitech THX.
I am waiting for an optical cable to come next week. Hard to find optical Toslink with mini-optical 3.5mm on one side.
Anyway until that cable comes I connected my mini to the Z5500 via a regular 3.5 mm jack cable.

By the way does anyone has any tips that I should know for Z5500 with macs via digital optical cable?
The most important thing for me is to watch mkv files and the audio (DTS or AC3) to be pass-through to the speakers console so that the speaker system can decode it. That's what I had with my PC and it sounded awesome.

jalmiburung

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2009
The mini is just so low-end, thats all. Enjoy it though. Perhaps even a refurb iMac would be better.
I don't agree with this. Mac mini is quite and cool (both the design and the temperature). I use it as a server and it does well, though the speed is only 2 GHz and 2 Gb RAM.

CXsjr

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2007
Scotland, UK
I got the 2.53Ghz/4GB/320GB model .... Waiting for all your opinions...

We have 3 Mac's in our house, this exact model is one of them, I just love the simple and inobtrusive design!

This particular machine is connected to our television for use as a media centre utilising Eye TV, a wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse. We record and replay TV programs; fast forward/rewind through a recording is so much easier than using our satelite HDD recorder. For recording films that you might want to keep, it's a dream too because the drive is so much bigger than that on our satelite HDD.

We also have our iTunes library on this machine and access this via Front Row using the Apple remote, and can browse our picture library over the wireless network in full 42" high defintion glory.

This machine runs quiet and cool and it's small enough to take with you on the road if you need.

Great machine and I wouldn't be without mine .... I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Anorak

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if someone could comment on my situation:

I have a 15" MacBook Pro (2007) and it's also my primary computer through a dock, as the battery life on the thing is completely shot. I'm looking to buy a new Mac, but I don't really feel like spending $2k+ on an iMac (especially since I already have a monitor). That leaves two options: buy a Mini or another laptop.

I'm currently looking at the 2.53/4GB/500GB Mac Mini (total cost is about $1k). Any opinions on using that as a main desktop machine? I ask because more often than not, I find that people are using Minis are media servers, but not their main computer. I do a bit of iPhone Development and Web Development (which includes some heavy PhotoShop use).

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if someone could comment on my situation:

I have a 15" MacBook Pro (2007) and it's also my primary computer through a dock, as the battery life on the thing is completely shot. I'm looking to buy a new Mac, but I don't really feel like spending $2k+ on an iMac (especially since I already have a monitor). That leaves two options: buy a Mini or another laptop.

I'm currently looking at the 2.53/4GB/500GB Mac Mini (total cost is about $1k). Any opinions on using that as a main desktop machine? I ask because more often than not, I find that people are using Minis are media servers, but not their main computer. I do a bit of iPhone Development and Web Development (which includes some heavy PhotoShop use).

My Mac Mini is my main computer and it does everything I need it to do. iPhone development and Photoshop will run flawlessly on the Mac Mini.

msjones

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
@Anorak

Since having my MacBook stolen my mini is my only machine. It's fantastic really there is nothing it can't handle.

I use mine for web development, writing unix applications, multiple VM's and video/dvd authoring. You can't really go wrong once you've got a decent monitor.

Also ive just upgraded mine to 4GB and a 500GB HDD for less than £120 ($184.42).

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland

I wonder if I have the same laptop as you? I have the 15" 2.2ghz MacBook Pro C2D SR that I bought in late 2007. Planning on selling it sometime in the next so many months (before applecare is up in the end of october) and getting a new MacBook Pro. Unless there's an upgrade between now and then I assume I'm getting one of the ones that came out today.

Do you have applecare? if so they'll replace that shot battery for you if you can get it in their hands for something else. If I was to call and complain about the battery they wouldn't do anything but if I was sending in for something else and attached a note to the battery, they would swap it out for me.

I just bought a 2.53ghz Mac Mini too. It's refurbished and I bought it as a secondary home computer. I was debating on an iMac but 1) really didn't like the computer/monitor in one thing and 2) for a secondary computer, I felt a Mac Mini would do.

Not sure about your needs but my primary computer must be a laptop. If the new MacBook Pros are out of your range what about a used previous gen one or a new or used macbook? I feel they would compare well to the current Mac Mini.

Also $1k for your build seems steep. Mine was refurbished and came at $679 for the 2.53ghz/4gb/320gb model. I felt guilty spending even that much, wanting to instead get the 2.26ghz but I saw in a post that upgrading the RAM from 2gb to 4gb would be $100 anyways so I figured I would just pay the extra $79 for the better processor speed and the bigger hard drive (which I prob won't use much since this a secondary computer). If you don't want to go refurbed, maybe cheap out and upgrade the RAM and hard drive on your own?

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
We have 3 Mac's in our house, this exact model is one of them, I just love the simple and inobtrusive design!

This particular machine is connected to our television for use as a media centre utilising Eye TV, a wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse. We record and replay TV programs; fast forward/rewind through a recording is so much easier than using our satelite HDD recorder. For recording films that you might want to keep, it's a dream too because the drive is so much bigger than that on our satelite HDD.

We also have our iTunes library on this machine and access this via Front Row using the Apple remote, and can browse our picture library over the wireless network in full 42" high defintion glory.

This machine runs quiet and cool and it's small enough to take with you on the road if you need.

Great machine and I wouldn't be without mine .... I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Man, I need to learn how to use My Mac Minis like this - both the refurbished 2.53ghz that's on its way for my townhouse and the 1.83ghz C2D that I left w/ my family

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Pround Mini owner chiming in. Anyone who thinks its too low-end, feel free to buy us all maxed-out Mac Pros.

paulsonj72

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
have the basic lower end unit as a replacement for the Imac G3 that I had for almost 9 years and now it fits all my needs as I use it mainly for web browsing, email, and eventually digital photography. I also had Parallels added so I run Windows 7, as there are some games out there that aren’t Mac compatible. I love it as it fits the desk I have perfectly.

los-graphicos

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
@Anorak

Since having my MacBook stolen my mini is my only machine. It's fantastic really there is nothing it can't handle.

I use mine for web development, writing unix applications, multiple VM's and video/dvd authoring. You can't really go wrong once you've got a decent monitor.

Also ive just upgraded mine to 4GB and a 500GB HDD for less than £120 ($184.42).

can I ask how you did that? Was there a special online deal of some description, been interested in upgrading my Mini, almost £100 for the memory upgrade itself on Crucial at the moment?

los-graphicos

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
got my Mini after my G4 MDD died after many years good service, very happy with it so far using it for graphic design duties - never fancied the all in one iMac solution and a Mac Pro was just way too expensive so went for the Mini and never looked back :)

mdjasrie

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2009
Singapore
Hi,

I have been using the Mac mini for almost half a year now. I got the 2.53 ghz Intel core 2 duo and im loving it so far. It is quiet as ever and i have not experienced any hardware issues with it. This mac mini is a fighter i tell ya!

Anorak

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
I wonder if I have the same laptop as you? I have the 15" 2.2ghz MacBook Pro C2D SR that I bought in late 2007. Planning on selling it sometime in the next so many months (before applecare is up in the end of october) and getting a new MacBook Pro. Unless there's an upgrade between now and then I assume I'm getting one of the ones that came out today.

Do you have applecare? if so they'll replace that shot battery for you if you can get it in their hands for something else. If I was to call and complain about the battery they wouldn't do anything but if I was sending in for something else and attached a note to the battery, they would swap it out for me.

Yep - I have the same laptop as you. Unfortunately, I didn't buy AppleCare (why? I think I just forgot about it). I'm not that upset about the battery, as I don't mind having it plugged in all the time.

I just bought a 2.53ghz Mac Mini too. It's refurbished and I bought it as a secondary home computer. I was debating on an iMac but 1) really didn't like the computer/monitor in one thing and 2) for a secondary computer, I felt a Mac Mini would do.

Your reason #1 is the biggest concern I have about the iMac - I don't like having the monitor and computer tied to the same body. I was seriously considering spending $2k this year on an iMac, but I just can't justify the cost.

Not sure about your needs but my primary computer must be a laptop. If the new MacBook Pros are out of your range what about a used previous gen one or a new or used macbook? I feel they would compare well to the current Mac Mini.

Also $1k for your build seems steep. Mine was refurbished and came at $679 for the 2.53ghz/4gb/320gb model. I felt guilty spending even that much, wanting to instead get the 2.26ghz but I saw in a post that upgrading the RAM from 2gb to 4gb would be $100 anyways so I figured I would just pay the extra $79 for the better processor speed and the bigger hard drive (which I prob won't use much since this a secondary computer). If you don't want to go refurbed, maybe cheap out and upgrade the RAM and hard drive on your own?

I'll take a look at the refurbished ones, providing I can find some. Unfortunately, I don't have an Apple Store close to my house (only a few of them exist in Ontario) and the online Canadian store doesn't have any refurb Mac Minis.

The new MacBook Pros aren't entirely out of my range. The price point of the base 13-inch model is decent and I could just keep using my existing MacBook Pro as my main machine.

msjones

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
can I ask how you did that? Was there a special online deal of some description, been interested in upgrading my Mini, almost £100 for the memory upgrade itself on Crucial at the moment?

Picked it all up from the local computer fair. The actual price was about £118.99. The memory is manufactured by integral which you can pick up for arounf £80 from ebuyer.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
I'll take a look at the refurbished ones, providing I can find some. Unfortunately, I don't have an Apple Store close to my house (only a few of them exist in Ontario) and the online Canadian store doesn't have any refurb Mac Minis.

The new MacBook Pros aren't entirely out of my range. The price point of the base 13-inch model is decent and I could just keep using my existing MacBook Pro as my main machine.

I haven't been paying much attention to 13" because I myself will be getting a 15" (Need to figure out which one when the time's right) but I know on the 13" I've been seeing a lot of complaints about value since they stayed w/ the C2D. Is the 15" out of your range? For my needs, I need a laptop first, home computer second but your needs could be different so if a home computer would do, seems the Mac Mini would be a fine way to go

Anorak

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
I haven't been paying much attention to 13" because I myself will be getting a 15" (Need to figure out which one when the time's right) but I know on the 13" I've been seeing a lot of complaints about value since they stayed w/ the C2D. Is the 15" out of your range? For my needs, I need a laptop first, home computer second but your needs could be different so if a home computer would do, seems the Mac Mini would be a fine way to go

I agree that it's a shame that the 13-inch model stayed with the C2D chip, but price-wise, it's actually not that much more than a Mac Mini and it's portable.

I think I'm leaning towards just buying a Mac Mini now, and then in the future (i.e. next year), buy a new MacBook Pro.

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I have an early 2009 mini. I guess it's around a year and change old. When I bought it, I purchased the lowest end one on the student discount. I paid $550 for a 2.0Ghz mini with 1GB of memory and a 120GB HDD.

I purchased 4GB of memory and a 320GB 7200 RPM drive off of newegg, and after some fun installing all that, I had my machine going strong. I bought a mini displayport to DVI adapter, and I have both my cinema displays hooked up.

I have been completely happy with it. I sometimes wish it had a bit more disk space, but 640GB drives were just released that fit in the mini. It really is a lot of bang for the buck, so long as the buck doesn't get too large. I think I have around $700 all told in my mini. I couldn't be happier.

4294426672_74437fcf23_o.jpg

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts

Why not buy a new battery for your 2007 mbp ~$120? My daughters 2006 mbp needed a new battery last year and we got her one. The machine is still doing her good service at college (graduates in 1 month!!). That would save you a lot of money over buying a new machine.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland

Is that mouse the Logitech VX REVOLUTION WIRELESS LASER MOUSE - LOVXR? I bought that a little over a year ago for use with my 1.83ghz C2D Mac Mini I got around the same time. I left that w/ my family. I am wondering about what mouse to get for my 2.53ghz Mac Mini that's just arrived - maybe I should just get the same thing. It was $50 last year from bhphotovideo.com which isn't too bad

Also how's that keyboard you have? I need one too. For the same earlier Mac Mini, I had bought a m9270ll/a bluetooth keyboard from a friend of mine which was well reviewed in some earlier threads. But recently the down and left arrow key on it stopped working so I need to replace that too.

Regarding display, I think I'm about to pull the trigger on a HP 24inch (ZR24W) which I am seeing a deal on slickdeals for $390. I was thinking of the U2410 but I missed a previous deal that went as low as $449. Not sure when next deal will roll around but I need something asap since my mac mini is here.

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
Is that mouse the Logitech VX REVOLUTION WIRELESS LASER MOUSE - LOVXR? I bought that a little over a year ago for use with my 1.83ghz C2D Mac Mini I got around the same time. I left that w/ my family. I am wondering about what mouse to get for my 2.53ghz Mac Mini that's just arrived - maybe I should just get the same thing. It was $50 last year from bhphotovideo.com which isn't too bad

Also how's that keyboard you have? I need one too. For the same earlier Mac Mini, I had bought a m9270ll/a bluetooth keyboard from a friend of mine which was well reviewed in some earlier threads. But recently the down and left arrow key on it stopped working so I need to replace that too.

Regarding display, I think I'm about to pull the trigger on a HP 24inch (ZR24W) which I am seeing a deal on slickdeals for $390. I was thinking of the U2410 but I missed a previous deal that went as low as $449. Not sure when next deal will roll around but I need something asap since my mac mini is here.

The mouse is a Logitech MX-700 that I've had for eons. I used it with my Powermac G5 when I first bought it, and I still use it with the mac mini. I really need to replace it at some point. The paint is wearing off the buttons. :)

The keyboard is just a standard Apple keyboard with 10-key keypad that I bought with the mini. I needed to sell my Powermac, and the keyboard had to go with it, so I decided a brand new Apple keyboard was in my future. I didn't think I'd like it, but so far, it's been great!

The ACDs were from my powermac as well. They're beginning to show their age, but they still look great! The newer ones are a lot brighter, but for home these work just fine. They're right around 7 years old now. I've gotten my mileage from them for sure.

I would eventually like to get a new 24" ACD to replace the dual 20's. Even though I'd be going to one monitor, the clarity and quality of the new display is excellent. Plus, I'm using the old external isight. It'd be nice to have one built in.

Enjoy your new mini!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.