Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleinJapan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2005
Hi, I need help to decide - My GF is giving me one for my birthday but I can't decide....I play first person shooters, star wars games and RPGs....

I don't have a HDTV but Will be buying one early next year....

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
The PS3 is pricey and is really out a bit early.

Your best bet is a 360. Many cool games are already bargain priced and others are already available used.

The PS3 will be a better value next year in 2008....

Mod - please put this thread in "Console Games" - thanks...

AppleinJapan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2005
The PS3 is pricey and is really out a bit early.

Your best bet is a 360. Many cool games are already bargain priced and others are already available used.

The PS3 will be a better value next year in 2008....

Mod - please put this thread in "Console Games" - thanks...

Thanks - one thing that im worried about is if Microsoft will put a HD-DVD in the 360 - im in Japan so they may do that to boost sales here..I would love to have one of the next gen formats but How do they look on a standard screen ???

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I'll preface this with a full disclusure: I own both consoles.

As far as tech goes, I don't see much difference. Both look and play great. Perhaps when more games are out that are not ported, we'lll see PS3 having an advantage, but that is conjecture at this point.

As for games library, 360 wins handily. It has been out longer, developers already have a handle on it, and I doubt we'll see the PS3 overtaking it in terms of quantity anytime soon, perhaps ever.

Exclusives? You have to make that call for yourself. They both have their advantages in this area.

Price? For just playing games, it is a no-brainer. It gets more complicated if you start thinking about adding wireless or wanting to play next-gen movies. The more thingss you want your console to do, the better ther PS3 starts to look.

I don't think you can make a bad call either way. Happy Birthday indeed!:)

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Japan? Sorry, didn't realize you're in the "Land of Sony"...

Get a PS3.....

I agree, I also own both and I like the PS3 better. Even though there isn't a huge supply of games right now there are over 100 titles coming out during the rest of the fiscal year.

Plus in Japan your friends will all have a PS3s so with free online it'll be better to play with them online. (That sounds awkward but I think you know what I mean.)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'll preface this with a full disclusure: Both consoles are under my roof (all inc. the Wii).

If you want to play games, a 360. It simply has more of them.
The PS3's controller is atrociously light. If you got a PS3 I'd recommend you ditch it completely, or just wait till rumble has been dated (will add weight - rumble motor, bigger battery etc).

Thing is - the 360 has been established now. huge software and community support, best online features of any console, fantastic controller (using one for my PC). Only shortfalls being the price is still quite high to say it's now 18 months old, lacks built in WiFi and has hardware problems. The PS3 has one of the biggest uphill struggles since the Saturn/Dreamcast/3D0 or any expensive system the public basically shuns in preference to the competition.

Ps. Japan is no longer land of Sony. The DS :eek:

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
.I play first person shooters, star wars games and RPGs....

Xbox 360 no question asked. Well one question, why?

FPS Xbox 360 has the most, and the best...Halo 3?!!! Star Wars Games- Well we know it has BattleFront 3 coming for it(not confirmed for any other system yet) KOTOR III would most likely be on Xbox again, and that new Star Wars game(I forget its name) is on XBox 360 and PS3. RPGs are going to be its weakest point, it has Elder Scrolls, and possible KOTOR 3.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
go to your favorite gaming site, (IGN, gamespot, 1up, eurogamer, etc) look at games coming out for each system, look at what the system itself has planned for it.

Make a decision off of that. Forums are the worst place for system buying advice :eek:

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
The PS3 looks sensational on a HDTV.

I miss the rumble.

Btw, with the PS3, will I get any Steering Wheel Force Feedback? I want to get a wheel for my PS3 but if I don't get any force feedback then i don't see a point in getting one.

Forums are the worst place for system buying advice :eek:

I decided to buy a DS rather than the PSP not too long ago based on the advice I got in this Forum and I absolutely love my DS.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Japan? Sorry, didn't realize you're in the "Land of Sony"...

Get a PS3.....

While he is in the land of Sony, everything XBox 360-related is also a lot cheaper in Japan, as Microsoft is desperately trying to get the Japanese to buy it.

I actually don't know which to recommend.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
If you are willing to wait out the storm then the PS3 is a good buy but if you want to get down to it then the 360 is your machine....be warned though the 360 console is known for coughing up blood within months of buying.

Bless

AppleinJapan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2005
Plus in Japan your friends will all have a PS3s so with free online it'll be better to play with them online. (That sounds awkward but I think you know what I mean.)

Thats a good point - Does any body know if you can play friends who happen to live overseas ??? I have a mate in OZ with a PS3 - there's no country restriction.....on the PS3 or X-box 360 (sorry Ive only played online via games not using X-box live etc etc)

AppleinJapan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2005
go to your favorite gaming site, (IGN, gamespot, 1up, eurogamer, etc) look at games coming out for each system, look at what the system itself has planned for it.

Make a decision off of that. Forums are the worst place for system buying advice :eek:

forums are where people are - mate I like everyone's advice here...Thank you guys for being so helpful !

Oh and thanks for the Happy Birthday :D

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
All three systems under my roof here.

PS3 is online playing Armored Core 4 online.

Wii is collecting dust when people are not over. Great party system.

Xbox 360 is in for repair thanks to spring update. There goes my chance for Halo 3 beta.

Get a PS3 because is going to be a great year for the PS3.

I say just look up the games coming out for each system and figure it out from there.

I have no time to figure out what system to get, I just want to be able to play any game I want when I come home from work, lecture or lab. :D

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
If (like anyone with sense) you want to buy a console and play games in the same month you'll be best with a 360. There are games actually in the shops for that, not just titles written on paper with a date next to them.

There are also games coming for that as well. As was said up there, it depends if you want to play games (With a top draw online environment) or watch Blu-Ray, wait for games, heat your home and see that it is actually possible for a controller to float...

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
In Japan? Get a 360. MS is subsidizing them so heavily over there trying to gain some ground against Sony that you'll get the system for a song, and you'll likely have lots of "value priced" games to chose from, compared to the PS3.

I really like my 360. Haven't played the PS3, and won't most likely, so I can't give a really honest opinion. I HATE the "dual shock" controller. Worst design of all time, imo, which is why I haven't bothered with the PS3. The 360 controller is really nice, though, and the system itself, while loud is pretty good.

I've enjoyed GoW the most so far, and I've started Elder scrolls, but GoW interrupted it so I will be starting over at some point. However, the XBLA is fantastic. Geometry Wars is lots of fun, there's plenty of great retro arcade titles, but Settlers of Catan was probably the best $10 I spent in 2007. The online play for the XBox is pretty good, like everyone says Live is well made, but there's some things that I think could use some work... fortunately MS seems to be intent on updating Live pretty often, so it gets better with age.

The graphics, from what I can see of screenshots and online videos, of the PS3 and 360 seem to be about the same. The PS3 has some stuff in the works that might be pretty impressive, but I withhold judgment till it's actually released. Until then, GoW is easily the best looking game on any console right now, and it's an absolute BLAST to play.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
I'll preface this with a full disclosure: I own neither console. I have never played on a PS3 and my only experience of the 360 is five minutes here and there in a Virgin Megastores.

Get neither. Get a DS.

:eek:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Maybe since Japan is such a "tight knit" videogame market you're better off asking people over there...

The US is mostly MS's turf....

Elsewhere I don't know...

Better yet, it's all about games. Go to the store, write down all the games you would buy, and then pick the system that plays those games...

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Buy a PS3, you'll thanks yourself later.
XBOX always lacked in the RPG market, and the 360 is showing no real signs of changing that trend.

PS3 is still in its infancy stages, but is showing loads of potential:
What is Sony doing to address concerns of gamers who are interested in owning a PS3 but haven't yet made the jump?

The first thing is to continue to educate people on the benefits of the technology and how it does things no other system can do. The second is to explain the value of all that cutting-edge technology: Cell is hands down the most powerful processor in any home entertainment system. Blu-ray gives developers a huge amount of space to create games. We also have free online gameplay, a hard drive in every box, Wi-Fi, and so on. This is a system that is just barely being tapped by developers at this point. There is so much upside potential that will continue to be uncovered years down the road, just like PS2.

And lastly, we have to deliver the content, which we are doing. We will have 15 PS3 exclusives this fiscal from our first party studios. Games like Ratchet & Clank Future; Tools of Destruction, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, and Heavenly Sword are looking amazing and are really showing what is possible when you harness the power in a PS3.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I loved having a 360 in asia (thailand, we had the japanese versions and bought japanese versions of games). Why? The games are a lot cheaper, particularly used than any others. Not as many folks playing them and not having the demand PS2 has makes it nice to have...got Fifa 2007 for US equivalent 25 bucks!

Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.