Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
America
Is there a way to commect my PS2 to my MacBook & use it kind of like a moniter?
...I doubt it...but just checking with y'all

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
it'll lag, unless you feel like playing a second behind the game.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
America
BornAgainMac said:
Yes. EyeTV EZ. It even mentions it in the specs. No delays.

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvez

THANKSSSS!!!!!! Thats cool, & I can even watch TV...haha thanks, I'm gonna get this...now I can completely get rid of all my gheTTo CRT's that I've been waiting to replace with 230423498 dollar HDTV's & stuff.

& to the guy who said wasteland...**** because I did find useful information in this thread.
nvm...i guess he deleted his post or something,

mark!

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
America
ChrisBrightwell said:

My question is answered & I searched & it only came up with xbox 360 stuff. I know how to use forums so stop posting wasteland & search crap. My question is answered, & if you find this thread pointless, & unnecessary, then don't look at it in the first place...jeez.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
What about when you create a new thread, a search is automatically started and you get a list of threads. Then you have the choice to creating a new thread or go into an existing thread.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
markkk! said:
THANKSSSS!!!!!! Thats cool, & I can even watch TV...haha thanks, I'm gonna get this...now I can completely get rid of all my gheTTo CRT's that I've been waiting to replace with 230423498 dollar HDTV's & stuff.

& to the guy who said wasteland...**** because I did find useful information in this thread.
nvm...i guess he deleted his post or something,

Like Hector said, it really will lag. The video will be slightly behind what's going on in the game. In other words, you'll be aiming a fraction of a second into the past if you play on your MacBook.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
my friend uses an eyetv to connect his ps2 to his mini and it is fine, no lag or anything. i have used it an i didnt notice any problems at all. it wasnt as sharp as you would expect on a tv but it was fine for me!

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
matticus008 said:
Like Hector said, it really will lag. The video will be slightly behind what's going on in the game. In other words, you'll be aiming a fraction of a second into the past if you play on your MacBook.

I actually doubt this. We run our PS2 through a Celeron 2gHz and it works fine, and we road tested it on a G4 1gHz and there was no lag either. So I don't see why it would lag on a much superior machine...

link92

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
It all depends on the converter, some have lag, some don't. The EyeTV EZ is completely playable.

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Lag Free

No, there is no lag with the EyeTV EZ. You only get lag on the EyeTV products that have a built in mpeg encoder. The EZ doesn't have that. The disadvantage is if you want to record something, all the processing is done on your mac, and therefore you might not be able to get the best quality recording.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
America
I ordered one :D
Even if it des lag playing video games (which you guys said it won't) then I could still use it for TV. But even though I was originally looking for something to let me play my PS2 on my MacBook Pro, that whole TV thing would be a nice bonus & stuff.

Thanks you guys.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
They all have some lag involved. Whether or not it's noticed depends on how exacting you are. But the nature of the beast is that there is some signal delay because getting the picture to your monitor is a two-step process instead of a one-step one.

The EyeTV EZ might be completely playable since it's more simplistic, so the delay is minimal. But if you put a computer TV tuner and an actual television side by side tuned to the same channel, you will notice that the computer is behind. I've tried this with 3 different tuners (both internal and external) on the two computers in my signature, the dual G4 1.25GHz I used to have, and a G5 iMac. Even with direct pass-through, the signal still has to be digitized and passed from PCI to the graphics hardware.

In fact, just to test this out, I used a signal splitter and picture-in-picture to pass one through the computer and one directly into the monitor's input. You can see in the side-by-side that the one going through the computer is several frames behind. It was still playable, but there is a difference. It just depends on your standards.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Madmic23 said:
No, there is no lag with the EyeTV EZ. You only get lag on the EyeTV products that have a built in mpeg encoder. The EZ doesn't have that. The disadvantage is if you want to record something, all the processing is done on your mac, and therefore you might not be able to get the best quality recording.

Not true. My EYE TV WONDER USB2 lag's.

Besides what Elgato actually say is

"Play Console Games on your Mac
Connect PlayStation, xBox, Nintendo GameCube, and other console games to EyeTV EZ and play video games on your Mac. EyeTV EZ does not do hardware encoding, therefore incoming video signals appear on the screen with almost no delay, providing an excellent live play experience. "

Almost no delay is not NO delay. Try playing gradius V or a game that requires excellent reaction and your fecked...

mark!

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
America
MacRumorUser said:
Not true. My EYE TV WONDER USB2 lag's.

Besides what Elgato actually say is

"Play Console Games on your Mac
Connect PlayStation, xBox, Nintendo GameCube, and other console games to EyeTV EZ and play video games on your Mac. EyeTV EZ does not do hardware encoding, therefore incoming video signals appear on the screen with almost no delay, providing an excellent live play experience. "

Almost no delay is not NO delay. Try playing gradius V or a game that requires excellent reaction and your fecked...

So lets say I was gonna play SIMS or SIMS 2 or GT4 or something (if you know those...haha) ...that would be playable...or satisfying right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.