Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
Just switched on my PS3, and was told theres a firmware update for it. Has anyone downloaded it yet? I can't find any reliable information on the net anywhere. Im in the process of d'ling it now. Things take forever though.
I thought I'd best add im from UK, so it might only be a euro update.

EDIT:

Right it's downloaded, and it says:
-wallpaper feature
-emoticons can be used in messages
-support for chinese characters

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
I thought it supported upconversion of ps2 games to 1080p and a few other features.

There's been a bunch of talk on different forums, some say it fixed some audio issues involving PCM and the new HD Audio formats.

Also allows for changing settings without having to stop Movies / Games.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
• Ability to rearrange games on the XMB
• Option menu now includes “eject disk”
• Press triangle to eject games/CDs/movies in the XMB
• XMB backgrounds
• Change the folder classification
• Emoticons
• Change CD output to 44.1/88.2/176.4kHz
• Force 24Hz output for Blu-ray over HDMI
• Change PS3 video settings in-game
• “Bit Mapping” in the “Music Setting”
• Save AVCHD type animations from a Memory Stick
• Change settings like upscaling while playing PS and PS2 games
• Add bookmarks (?)
• Web browser security function in the browser's tool section
• Avatar moves during audio visual chat

Thar she be. Not anything super special, the background thing is about ****ing time.

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
• Ability to rearrange games on the XMB
• Option menu now includes “eject disk”
• Press triangle to eject games/CDs/movies in the XMB
• XMB backgrounds
• Change the folder classification
• Emoticons
• Change CD output to 44.1/88.2/176.4kHz
• Force 24Hz output for Blu-ray over HDMI
• Change PS3 video settings in-game
• “Bit Mapping” in the “Music Setting”
• Save AVCHD type animations from a Memory Stick
• Change settings like upscaling while playing PS and PS2 games
• Add bookmarks (?)
• Web browser security function in the browser's tool section
• Avatar moves during audio visual chat

Thar she be. Not anything super special, the background thing is about ****ing time.

Where'd u get that list, because i cant change settings in game, nor can I re-arrange games. And pressing triangle in the XMB brings up options, not eject. Though eject is now on the options menu.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Press Triangle(while in the Game section of XMB) and at the top there is a Sort by Date(up/down) or Format. Its not much, but its a start. In-game XMB only works with HOME beta, but with the August F/W update(probably 2.0) and the release of HOME beta to the public, we may see it very soon.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

is there any acheivements like the 360?

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
GI: Will you have a score? I know I’m comparing Achievements versus Trophies, but people walk around and wear that score as a badge of honor. Reiner from the magazine has a Gamer Score of 35,000, and he’s Mr. Big Shot. I just cleared 3,000 and I think I’m doing OK. People like wearing that badge of honor, so how are you guys going to do that?

Harrison: We have something, which I can’t share with you today, but we are going to do something which is…how can I answer this without answering it. (laughs)

GI: Well, you can answer it! (laughs)

Harrison: So Gamer Points is kind of macro where that is persistent over all of the games that you play, and then you’ve got the micro based on the individual games. So that idea of being awarded for skill in that particular game, having that mechanism that arches over that entire library – we will have something that performs that function in a different way than points.
:apple:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

So what is it

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Sorting the games works 'kind of'.

When you press triangle, top right there is now a 'sort by' option. Though it doesnt allow you to customise it - it's just sort by 'date' sort by 'format' etc..

But it's there, just next to useless that all.

Also they still havent sorted out allowing me to output sound via HDMI & Optical at the same time :rolleyes:

Not a bad update, but with no XMB access in game, no sound update - it still feels like its desperatly needing 'BASIC' features. Great a new video codec, but give me somthing I need please rather than that.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.