Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
--- Background ---

I recently set up an amazing system where at home, my basement Gaming PC streams live gameplay to my MacBook Pro upstairs, which is in turn hooked up to my 42" living room TV, and controlled by my PS3 controller via Bluetooth.

It's as easy as running steam on the Mac and PC and shockingly, the PS3 controller works with the Mac with ZERO setup! I just plug it in, press the PS button...and BOOM! It pairs magically and Steam Big Picture opens up magically! It works super with Borderlands 2, Fallout: New Vegas and FarCry 4. Ultimately I wanted this for GTA:V when it comes out on PC. I have it preordered already, despite already owning the PS3 version. PC graphics and 1st person are worth it to me!

--- The Problem ---

So, I want to do the same thing with my gaming PC in my college room up in Dublin. I brought a PS3 controller with me this week. I hooked it up with the USB cable, hit the PS button...and nothing. After hours of driver fiddling and installing that software everybody recommends (that also briefly broke my mouse drivers...) I have only been been able to get wired controller support working, no Bluetooth.

Why is this such a pain? Why on Earth would a PS3 controller work instantly with a Mac, and not with a PC? Surely there is an easy way to do this besides very messy third party programs?

bushidounohana

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
St. Louis, MO (USA)
I can't speak to the how and why, but I can say that I have felt your pain. I also used a bunch of crap-tastic softwares before stumbling on the SCP DS3 Driver Package. It has worked out pretty well for me, though of course it's still a side-step around working right out of the box.

The biggest caveat is PS3 controllers require their own Bluetooth dongle to work wirelessly, and I found that built-in Bluetooth didn't work (you'll find that info on the page I linked as well). I ended up buying a separate USB Bluetooth dongle and was able to pair multiple controllers with it while using the SCP DS3 Driver Package.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I can't speak to the how and why, but I can say that I have felt your pain. I also used a bunch of crap-tastic softwares before stumbling on the SCP DS3 Driver Package. It has worked out pretty well for me, though of course it's still a side-step around working right out of the box.

The biggest caveat is PS3 controllers require their own Bluetooth dongle to work wirelessly, and I found that built-in Bluetooth didn't work (you'll find that info on the page I linked as well). I ended up buying a separate USB Bluetooth dongle and was able to pair multiple controllers with it while using the SCP DS3 Driver Package.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, I'll give this a go! :)

----------

Yes, buy an Xbox 360 controller or, if you prefer the PS3 layout, a Logitech F710.

I was about to buy a new controller when I found this to work on my Mac, having dabbled and gotten frustrated with PS3 controller support on the PC long ago. Hence my surprise at how well OS X and Steam accepted it. Having already coughed up the dough for GTA V PC, I don't exactly have loads of cash to flunk on things I don't need, so if I could make use of one of my 3 old PS3 controllers, that would be preferable. Apple and Valve have shown that it can be done, and done very well. Now just how to make Microsoft sing the same tune...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.