Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Blu-ray (I use a lot!), media card readers, wireless internet, bigger HD, HDMI out, rechargeable bluetooth controllers, free online access!!!, Cell processor for the future! Holy Hell, how can anyone say xbox is better except for more games, which will ocme for the PS3! Oh, by the way, Microsoft?!?!?! Who the hell wants anything they produce? I also hear about xboxes catching on fire? Doesn't surprise me! I think people are jealous because they are poor and cannot afford it! No excuse anymore.... they are $100 cheaper! By the way, i know that the xbox now has the ultimate edition xbox (or was it the business, home, office, upgrade, professional, corporate, et al edition?) LOL! Now only one PS3, the best one! PS3 WAY BETTER!

Okay, just no.

Blu-ray is only useful IF HD-DVD loses AND one has a HDTV, and has absolutely nothing to do with games.

Media card readers are a nice footnote, but only a minor feature when you have gigabytes of hard drive space already. My Wii reads SD cards anyway.

WiFi is a big point, actually. +1 to PS3.
Only because Microsoft charges obscene amounts ($99) for WiFi.

HDMI isn't that important. Many HDTV's don't have it and the quality difference is nearly indistinguishable.

Cell processor is the future? Are you joking? Cell has advantages for certain types of tasks, but it's hardly the future. You won't be seeing Cell-based PCs any time soon, just specialized devices. Cell should make the PS3 better for some physics stuff, but it also has significant disadvantages such as being more expensive, being much harder to code for, and actually being worse for certain types of calculations.

You know, the Sega Saturn's overly complex processor scared developers away rather than helping it.

I totally agree that Microsoft is a company that generally makes crap products and which I would rather not see anywhere near the game market, but they've actually made a good product this time; take your blinders off.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
For that matter there's not really any games on the Wii that are really worth owning either. Nintendo's lack of really appealing content is what put me off the Wii.

Unique system launch blues. The DS's library for the first year was almost entirely GBA up-ports with a touch screen added and N64 down-ports with a virtual analog stick, because developers were scared of such a different system until they realized how well it was selling.

Same with the Wii, devs are all jumping on board at the last minute, and that's why we're seeing all the PS2 ports with waggle added.

Check the Wii's upcoming games lineup. 2007 holiday season and 2008 have some great stuff in the pipeline and I'm expecting to see the quality of third-party Wii games increase exponentially.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Unique system launch blues. The DS's library for the first year was almost entirely GBA up-ports with a touch screen added and N64 down-ports with a virtual analog stick, because developers were scared of such a different system until they realized how well it was selling.

God yeah the DS first year was dire, with a real bunch of crappy titles. Thankfully things kicked off - but there is a difference.

The DS slow start matched its sales, a lot of people delayed or put off buying the system until those real tites kicked in.

But the Wii is a victim of it's own success. Unlike the DS it's launched to unprecedented demand. Unfortunetly this means that there are a lot of people out there waiting for follow up's that simply are still only on the distant horizon.

I agree 2008 may indeed be a great year for software for the Wii, but.....
With so many wii's lingering and festering on shelves, in home entertainment cabinets - that early audience may have lost all interest in the system by the time the games are finally available for them.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
i hope not on brand new computers since my computer from 1998 had already 128 mb

let me guess: those computers are eMacs ;) (which people seriously defended being only equipped with 128 mb ram when i join this boards: "it's totally enough for OS X" :rolleyes:)

Not on brand new computers as of about mid last year. It's still very rare to see new computers with 1gig of Ram around here though. I know a computer store locally which sells 'state of the art' computers for about £700 which only have 512mb of ram. :rolleyes:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I know a computer store locally which sells 'state of the art' computers for about £700 which only have 512mb of ram. :rolleyes:

That's because your in Wales :p Just as bad here, I'm in rural Ireland and up until last year tey were still promoting ISDN as high speed internet :D

In fairness though I was surprised earlier when I went shopping. You can go into Tesco here, buy a decent laptop with 15.4" screen, Athlon X64 dualcore processor, 120gb hdd, dvd +RW writer, Built in Wifi, Vista Home Premium and amazingly 2gb memory and then ontop of that they give you a free carry case for €699 (£475) which I thought was exceedingly good value.

And only €60 more than a PS3 ;)

Apple a Day

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
I thought I would offer my dissenting opinion as it seems that few people tend to be fair-minded nowadays. Most of the hatred toward the PS3 is unwarranted and simply trash. The PS3 is an exceptional system and hardly deserves the crap it gets, especially with all the additional features I mentioned in an earlier post (in addition to the few features MS gives you in their product). Once the PS3 comes out with more games there will be little incentive to have XBOX360 over PS3. Not that I hate the XBOX360! Let the hating begin...

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
I thought I would offer my dissenting opinion as it seems that few people tend to be fair-minded nowadays. Most of the hatred toward the PS3 is unwarranted and simply trash. The PS3 is an exceptional system and hardly deserves the crap it gets, especially with all the additional features I mentioned in an earlier post (in addition to the few features MS gives you in their product). Once the PS3 comes out with more games there will be little incentive to have XBOX360 over PS3. Not that I hate the XBOX360! Let the hating begin...

Most people on here are pretty unbiased and 'in the middle'; at least the higher-post count posters are.

That being said, there are certainly posters who clearly favor one system over others. And there are also some posters who bash one over the other for no logical reason. :confused:

I own a 360 and Wii and have said so many times now I've lost count :D that I will purchase a [used 20gig] Ps3 when God of War 3 comes out (and now, also WipeOut). Until then, as a 360 owner, I have no incentive to purchase a Ps3 at this time. I think for the most part, most owners of one or the other on here feel the same way; IMO without tons of exclusives yet, it's not really feasible to own both the 360 and Ps3 unless you're rich like MRU. :D LOL ;)

Sure, you get more features in the Ps3. You also pay more; like the saying goes, you pay for what you get. I don't consider deciding to buy only what you want to be "poor", I consider that "smart" and "thrifty". Despite what others say, I think Microsoft did the right thing in releasing a system with a lot of features that most people can use, for a lower price...rather than throwing tons of features in there with a large price tag and say "buy it or don't get it at all".

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Not on brand new computers as of about mid last year. It's still very rare to see new computers with 1gig of Ram around here though. I know a computer store locally which sells 'state of the art' computers for about £700 which only have 512mb of ram. :rolleyes:

well looking through the local big store offers they have 1 computer with 512 and that's a toshiba laptop for 599 or so .. every thing else has at least 1 gig or 2

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Eh you only live once ;)

I just contributed to our Sears card debt last week by ordering a new 22" LCD for our PC, although the old one was in dire need of replacement. :D

Debt schmedt...gotta enjoy life. Even if sometimes life (or it's many purchases) is crazy :)

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Dead people don't have to pay bills :D LOL heh heh
I wonder if sunblock helps with all the heat down there...may have to pick up some SPF-2000000000 sunblock on the way home today ;)

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
God yeah the DS first year was dire, with a real bunch of crappy titles. Thankfully things kicked off - but there is a difference.

The DS slow start matched its sales, a lot of people delayed or put off buying the system until those real tites kicked in.

But the Wii is a victim of it's own success. Unlike the DS it's launched to unprecedented demand. Unfortunetly this means that there are a lot of people out there waiting for follow up's that simply are still only on the distant horizon.

I agree 2008 may indeed be a great year for software for the Wii, but.....
With so many wii's lingering and festering on shelves, in home entertainment cabinets - that early audience may have lost all interest in the system by the time the games are finally available for them.

true words but on the other side the very same may also happen to everybody else as well, even more so with RPGs which many are waiting for on every platform

on the DS: sure it had a slow start but which games finally made them skyrocket ? mario kart and animal crossing ? (all sold better than halo 1)
nintendogs sold better than gears of war, halo and oblivion(all versions) combined
to sum it up it's quite difficult to predict who is going to come out on top or what happens in 1 year .. after all the ps1 and ps2 1st year wasn't even close in lineup quality compared to the wii or ps3 or 360

also it needs to be said that just because a game is multiplattform, not so high profile in gaming forums because it got ported over doesn't mean it's bad or not entertaining: just like i'm having fun with scarface for the wii at the moment despite being a ps2 port (actually scarface for the wii sold out around here in stores ... i guess they didn't expect that)

just because people on the internet are waiting doesn't mean that they are doing it in real life as well,especially the whole non gaming-forum crowd

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
"first year was dire"

Which is why I don't understand all the harsh criticism about PS3's lack of games.....in 08/09 there will be tons of content for people to enjoy. (it starts this fall, but early next year will be even bigger)

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
"first year was dire"

Which is why I don't understand all the harsh criticism about PS3's lack of games.....in 08/09 there will be tons of content for people to enjoy. (it starts this fall, but early next year will be even bigger)

This is the major complaint with everyone now....but like I've been saying from the begining...this won't be a problem sooner than later because the games are coming. After the PS3 dry spell whats left to talk about....I'm sure the haters will find much to sink there teeth into.

I say just enjoy your system...I enjoy mines...except the wii(this one gets no love from me until I start seeing some games):D

Bless

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
^You are correct sir.....both consoles lack games but whats out right now I'm enjoying the PS3 line up better plus I'm not seeing too many wii games I'm interested in....this can change though....don't know if it can change for the anti-PS3 boys though;)

Bless

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
In the most recent Rumor Mole section, OXM declares that a "bankable source" told them that Metal Gear Solid 4 is definitely coming to Xbox 360. The game is reportedly being ported by a separate team -- which isn't headed by Hideo Kojima -- and should ship "a few months" after the PS3 version.

Considering the ever-mounting rumors and Konami's own comments on the matter, it's starting to look like the only thing missing is an official announcement.

Makes sense.
Kojima said he'll only do a Ps3 version, so they get someone else to port it since Kojima won't do it himself. They'll sell it for $60 and make tons of money on the 360 version. Again, makes sense.

Either way though, I'm so tired of hearing about this (and as I stated in the other thread...I'm looking more forward to Splinter Cell: Conviction), so truthfully I could care less either way. If it comes out, I'll buy it for the 360, but there's no way in hell I'll buy a Ps3 for MGS4; it's just not a must-own system seller for me personally. :eek:

Apple a Day

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
I believe that's the argument from the anti-PS3 boys ;)

Why is there such a thing as anti-ps3 guys? That is so childish! I gave a contradictory argument to all the anti-ps3 hype. I repeat....hype.... bunch of losers who hate their own lives and it reflects in their own deep hatred for silly things! XBOX 360, Wii, PS3.....who gives a crap, just don't use the word HATE....losers:)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
You gave reasons, congrats and that. But I don't agree with them. They dropped the ball so many times that I'm not going to bother mentioning them again. I have my reasons for not liking it, I didn't use the word hate, my comment was merely a reply to 2ny and not to undermine your comment ;)
I wouldn't even need to read about the PS3 to know about how bad it's turned out so far. The Sony fanboys around my way don't want one ;)

*though a few of them are not buying out of the whole "p**s on Europe" attitude.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004

The problem is you are, as a lot of other people have, comparing them as if they were computers; aka, bullet points in a spec sheet and features list.

The complete reality of it is that these are game machines. If the PS3 has Blu-ray, more hardware for the money, built in WiFi, SD card readers...well, that's great. But if it doesn't have games, I don't care in the slightest about those other features.

The problem is that, as it is, Microsoft has snatched up most of the exclusives I'm (and most people are) interested in and multiplatform games look identical on both systems.

Sony's third party support is dwindling and that has always been the system's strength. When the system is a lot more expensive but has LESS games available, then people lose interest.

I think people forget very quickly which side I was on here. I was on Sony's side from the day the PS3 was announced. I harped on about 1080p-upscaled PS2 games, free online play, the fact that I much preferred Sony's exclusives historically to Microsoft's, Sony's promised dual-screen setup, better graphics, etc.

I was on Sony's side, arguing PS3 over 360, right up until E3 2006 when Sony reneged on the majority of their promises and then announced a $600 price point, and in the months following have yet to announce any of the franchises I bought a PS2 for on the PS3.

And the price is still a barrier; I haven't bought a 360 because I'm not spending $400 for the system, and I'm sure not getting a PS3 at $500 or $600. If Sony were to announce a whole slew of exclusives I'm interested in tomorrow, then I would be anticipating the purchase, but I still would not buy it till the price came down (same goes for 360 though).

I think the hate stems from the fact that there's a lot of bitterness towards Sony for A) Outright lying at press conferences and B) Arrogant statements from Kutaragi ("People will work a second job for it" "We could sell 5 million without any games [due to brand strength]").

Apple a Day

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
The business of video games is not easy, neither the marketing, production, engineering, sales and others. Don't be too harsh for the setbacks. I know for a fact Microsoft has plenty of setbacks all the time, there is a reason, it is difficult. The games will come, blu-ray will win the format war, Apple has already planned to adopt the format. When you apple a year from now has blu-ray and Sony releases plenty of games till your heart is content, then there will be less negative, pessimistic, hating rhetoric on the web. By the way, I support all game consoles, just don't hate, only dislike or favor. Man, maybe I am just too optimistic for forums (most are full of the most negative people on earth, most of whom have no balls, because this is the only way they can get their say!)

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
^You know what to do...rat on every console and get everyone pissed but stay true to the phantom;)

Sony's third party support is dwindling and that has always been the system's strength.

Really.....so who's not supporting sony this time around but did in the past? sure alot of the exclusive are multi now but thats not Lost. I would expect companies other than 1st party to go this route seeing how cost are sky high.

There are no 3rd party company staying true to a system this time around...Sony will have to work extra hard this time to get a little push out of the developers.

Bless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.