Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
Take a look:

- Screenshot #1
- Screenshot #2

Is this even competing with GRAW?

This would make me worried about Killzone 2, if they haven't shown some nicer things on PS3 (like Drake).

Shouldn't they be giving SOCOM more love? I thought this was one of their top online exclusives? :confused:

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I'm willing to say, these will be improved. Are these Alpha, Beta shots? I don't think the game will look similar to this for release.

Still not the best start.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Oh come on fella...I would of thought you would know this is a 7 month old game...this will improve. I think they only produce these pictures to show the little time it took to get this with the edge thingy.

Note: I'm not impressed with the screen shots but I am impressed with the little time it took to get there.

Bless

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
Actually, no, this is my first look at Socom... I have no idea how long it's been in dev or when it will be released.

I was just surprised by my first look... why a developer would ever release screenshots like this is beyond me.

AppleGuy08

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Oh wow, i hope they improve that. Ive been a huge Socom fan ever since the first socom came out. Combined Assault and Socom 3 were by far the best made. I just want them to come out with a version that has ALL of the maps they have ever created, no more of this buying map pack BS. I want frostfire, xroads, vigilance and all of em'!

michaelltd

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
If it plays well and is fun, then I wouldn't mind if the final version looked like that.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Oh wow, i hope they improve that. Ive been a huge Socom fan ever since the first socom came out. Combined Assault and Socom 3 were by far the best made. I just want them to come out with a version that has ALL of the maps they have ever created, no more of this buying map pack BS. I want frostfire, xroads, vigilance and all of em'!

And Abandoned in daylight.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
How early are these shots? The level is blocky enough that it makes me wonder if that's just a test map thrown together to test out the game engine. The character models look much more detailed than the environment (which looks PS2/GC/XBox quality).

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
How early are these shots? The level is blocky enough that it makes me wonder if that's just a test map thrown together to test out the game engine. The character models look much more detailed than the environment (which looks PS2/GC/XBox quality).

I'm not sure, but after posting this I started catching up on podcasts... listening to 1Up Yours 6/29/2007, and there is a section talking about how people have been complaining about lack of SOCOM coverage.

They mentioned that it just doesn't look good, and any articles on it have been pretty unpopular. They seemed to think that was because the media they've received for it has been so bad.

Anyway, interesting podcast, was surprised they talked about some I just posted about, lol.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
If it plays well and is fun, then I wouldn't mind if the final version looked like that.

I don't know about all of that but they still got all the time in the world to polish the game(the game doesn't look finish at all & it isn't) so I'm sure this title will be improve before it goes gold.

If they implement a cover system in SOCOM I would get this game on day 1.

Bless

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
It's the only XBL game I play on the regular...the game is super awesome plus the red/black map back is sooo coool...I can't stop playing R6V.

I spend a lot of time cussing at the screen though :)

Bless

He is too afraid to buy it for the PS3 as he doesnt wanna get pwnt in two games by the same person ;) :D :p

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Things will definitely be improved. Look at the character models. They implement a much higher shader system than the rest of the environment and this won't be the case. This is definitely a test map designed to test the gameplay mechanics, and possible the physics engine. When shaders and more stuff like barrels and random things like little rocks are implemented, then you will be able to see the good graphics you hope for.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So basically things they have to do.

Add some bloom, HDR and self shadowing
Add particle effects
Add geometric detail as it all is very basic at the moment
Improve texture detail dramatically - some of those textures arent fit for an N64

So basically everything....

Why on earth did they even show it at it's current stage. If GRAW2 when it finally hits PS3 doesnt look as good as the 360 version I'll scream, and with many months development time ahead, this should look better than Ubisofts war effort.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I could give a @$#& what this game looks like, as I know the online gameplay is gonna kick some major ass.

Its scheduled to drop this fall, so they still have some time to "tighten up the graphics." :D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Shadows seem okay, they don't "blur" as they're spread. Lack of shadows too (check the table)? That's a strange one.
Jaggied polygons, check the guys helmet.
Lack of texture detail. Makes it look like an upscaled PS2/P game. The stall is the biggest perpetrator.
No lighting effects? No bloom or HDR?

No doubt it'll get a huge graphical update. It needs it! Looks like Counterstrike Source (2004).

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
I'll agree with you.......right now.
But thats about as pragmatic as saying: Rome will never fall. ;)

True, but i think that the huge difference is really the fact that you must buy a subscription to get on live. What incentive does sony have to make a great online network, if they don't get any money directly from it (except PSN games)? They have no incentive to do anything above mediocre online play, whereas with XBL, if they do a crappy job, no one will buy XBL, and they don't make any money.
I personally have never played anything on PSN, but from what i have heard, nothing can match XBL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.