Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Picturepages

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2020
Dear MR, for a little father-son bonding and to get a better understanding of what he is playing online I have downloaded Fortnite, via Epic Games on to my MacBook Pro 16" (2019) running Catalina 10.15.5. It runs fine and I can play using keyboard and mouse. However, being a hopeless gamer I thought playing on a PS4 controller (which I am a little more used to) would be easier. I have paired the PS4 controller (Dual Shock) via bluetooth preferences no problem at all and the controller is showing as connected. However, it wont do a thing, the MacBook pro doesn't appear to recognise that there is a PS4 controller connected to it at all. None of the buttons work etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Very happy to answer any questions ... this is the first time I have posted on any forum. Many thanks.

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
Dear MR, for a little father-son bonding and to get a better understanding of what he is playing online I have downloaded Fortnite, via Epic Games on to my MacBook Pro 16" (2019) running Catalina 10.15.5. It runs fine and I can play using keyboard and mouse. However, being a hopeless gamer I thought playing on a PS4 controller (which I am a little more used to) would be easier. I have paired the PS4 controller (Dual Shock) via bluetooth preferences no problem at all and the controller is showing as connected. However, it wont do a thing, the MacBook pro doesn't appear to recognise that there is a PS4 controller connected to it at all. None of the buttons work etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Very happy to answer any questions ... this is the first time I have posted on any forum. Many thanks.
Sounds like this could be a problem rooted in fortnite. Have you tried going to your settings in fortnite and enabling your controller there? I hope this is helpful as I’m not super familiar with the process of pairing a PS4 controller with fortnite.

Picturepages

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2020
Sounds like this could be a problem rooted in fortnite. Have you tried going to your settings in fortnite and enabling your controller there? I hope this is helpful as I’m not super familiar with the process of pairing a PS4 controller with fortnite.

Thank you for your response. Yes I have tried this. When I googled the issue, two platforms were frequently mentioned, Steam and Epic games. There appears to be the function in Steam to do exactly as you have suggested, but I can't see anywhere within Epic games to do the same. Unfortunately, fortnight isn't available in Steam. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.