Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
There are plenty of AAA titles on PSN. Resident Evil, Journey, God of War, Saints Row, Metro Last Light are some of games I have on PSN I can think of off the top of my head.

Value will always be subjective if you prefer the games one offers over the other.

If your objective you find that PSN generally offers more value and volume.

Here is a comparison list:

http://m.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PlayStation_Plus_vs._Games_with_Gold_Comparison

I'm talking about games you get for free with your Xbox Live Gold and PSN Plus subscriptions, of which Xbox gives you far better value.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
There are plenty of AAA titles on PSN. Resident Evil, Journey, God of War, Saints Row, Metro Last Light are some of games I have on PSN I can think of off the top of my head.

Value will always be subjective if you prefer the games one offers over the other.

If your objective you find that PSN generally offers more value and volume.

Here is a comparison list:

http://m.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PlayStation_Plus_vs._Games_with_Gold_Comparison

Also, Sony wants to increase more exclusive titles in the next few years to draw more of a following. I think it's the quality of developers more than it is exclusives.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It in the UK they aren't. Sonys free games are region specific and I can't ever remember any of the games you mentioned being on PSN Plus.

Well I guess region would need to be taken into account. I'm about to pick up Deus Ex at 60% off which will technically be free (for me) because I have 30 dollars in credit for spending over 100 dollars this year in PSN purchases.

IMG_0357.JPG

I'm really glad we are having this discussion because I really wanted Deus Ex and I doubt I would have checked PSN plus if we weren't.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well I guess region would need to be taken into account. I'm about to pick up Deus Ex at 60% off which will technically be free (for me) because I have 30 dollars in credit for spending over 100 dollars this year in PSN purchases.

View attachment 678332

I'm really glad we are having this discussion because I really wanted Deus Ex and I doubt I would have checked PSN plus if we weren't.

Doom was another brilliant shooter for the Current price point. It looks amazing on the Pro.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

View attachment 678332

Yes in regards to PSN Plus games it's region specific if you've had Metro on the PS4 for free as a PSN Plus game. IMO in the UK it's rubbish and the whole PlayStation platform is very poor value.
I don't think much of the new Deus Ex, the last one was better I think.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Yes in regards to PSN Plus games it's region specific if you've had Metro on the PS4 for free as a PSN Plus game. IMO in the UK it's rubbish and the whole PlayStation platform is very poor value.
I don't think much of the new Deus Ex, the last one was better I think.

Unfortunately I never played the last one. And at first I didn't like Mankind Divided, but after a couple hours I'm really enjoying it.

I have a love hate relationship with their Praxis point system. Nearly every single perk is something very useful and something I want, making spending Praxis points very difficult.

Most games have perks I want to earn but nothing like this. It's frustrating when I want to hack a computer but don't have the skill required and at the same time don't want to spend my precious points for that skill. Lol

Reactions: apolloa

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
PlayStation every time. If not only because you'd be missing out on too many incredible exclusives.

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
The most important factor when choosing console are exclusive games. You should look at what Xbox has and at what PS4 has and then pick what suits you best. Don't compare tech specs because they don't really matter with consoles. If you're going to play online with friends, buy the same console as your friends.

On the side note - you should not compare PS4 Pro and Xbox One S. These are not meant as a competition.
PS4 Classic = Xbox One Classic
PS4 Slim = Xbox One S
PS4 Pro = Xbox Scorpio (not yet released)

If you own 4K TV, it might be worth it to go with PS4 Pro because it's the only one that has some kind of 4K support. On the other hand, PS4 Pro lacks 4K Blu-Ray support which Xbox One S has (not Classic!).

Here's what I would think about in order of importance

1. Exclusive games, which ones do I prefer?
2. What most of my friends own? (if I mean to play with them, else skip it)
3. Do I own 4K TV? (if yes, PS4 Pro)
4. Do I want to play 4K Blu-Rays? (if yes, Xbox One S)
5. Is there some great sale for classics?

I have bought PS4 in early 2014 when it was still hard to choose between PS4 and Xbox One as there weren't that many games. I'm really happy with my choice because Uncharted, Until Dawn, The Last Guardian, The Last of Us were really great games. There's nothing on Xbox side that interests me. Tomb Raider hurt me but now that it's available on PS4 and I have played it, it turns out it's quite mediocre and certainly worse than Tomb Raider (2013) and Uncharted 4.

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
I upgraded to a PS4 Pro and I'm happy with it. Fans still run high from time to time, but I'm used to it.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Planning to get a PS4 slim when it drops to $199.99 this year and when some of the blockbuster 2017 titles gets released. No interest in the Pro because I plan to keep my "50 Samsung 1080p TV until it breaks which could take another 5-10 years. Not a supporter for 4K gaming right now. I also prefer more compact designs since I move alot. I don't want the PS4 slim right now because I rarely game and saving my money for a new car. I never cared for the Xbox because I prefer the Sony exclusives more and hate FPS which generally make up the ones for Xbox.

The Xbone S does look better though, can play 4K Blu-ray, better online play, and seems to offer a little more value. The better multimedia machine. I just don't like the exclusives from it. I plan to get the PS4 slim and Switch on the same day. I do think Nintendo relies on gimmicks where the luster wear off after awhile. But Sony and Nintendo make up most of the exclusives I want to play. I mostly grew up on Japanese gaming during the mid-1980's through late-1990's. Not the Westernized/PC-style that Xbox offers that became more standard by the 2000's.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Planning to get a PS4 slim when it drops to $199.99 this year and when some of the blockbuster 2017 titles gets released.

I plan to get the PS4 slim and Switch on the same day. I do think Nintendo relies on gimmicks where the luster wear off after awhile. But Sony and Nintendo make up most of the exclusives I want to play. I mostly grew up on Japanese gaming during the mid-1980's through late-1990's. Not the Westernized/PC-style that Xbox offers that became more standard by the 2000's.

Sony didn't keep the holiday price of $249, the PS4 Slim is back up to $300.

The Switch supplies, of course, will be constrained. So you may have to wait until Holiday 2017 to get your $200 PS4 Slim and a Switch...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.