Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
My last console was playstation 2 and xbox360, and i didn't do much but connect it to my old widescreen dell via whatever cable worked. Since moving to the mac I haven't gamed much besides some minecraft and cs:s and some ios games.

My interest to consider getting a playstation 4 (pro) and the lg monitor is growing, turning 40 in january - i thought it might be a nice gift to myself.

But the ps4 is hdmi out, and the lg is thunderbolt3 in.

So, how does that work? Can I even use that monitor as gaming monitor for the ps4?

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
I'm going to say that is highly unlikely that the monitor will work with a device that does not provide a Thunderbolt 3 output. As such there are only a handful of products outside of the new MacBook Pros that can use this monitor. There may come a point where some form of capture device will allow you to take an HDMI in and either convert it to a Thunderbolt 3 embedded connection, or pass the input to a MBP and then back out to the monitor. But either way will likely introduce a good amount of lag.

It looks to be the same way with the UltraFine 4K that apple is selling. If you get a 4k display that does not rely on Thunderbolt 3, so either HDMI or DisplayPort, then I am fairly confident in saying that you could probably use that. Then you would lose any of the new benefits of these LG monitors, but it would work with more devices.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My last console was playstation 2 and xbox360, and i didn't do much but connect it to my old widescreen dell via whatever cable worked. Since moving to the mac I haven't gamed much besides some minecraft and cs:s and some ios games.

My interest to consider getting a playstation 4 (pro) and the lg monitor is growing, turning 40 in january - i thought it might be a nice gift to myself.

So, how does that work? Can I even use that monitor as gaming monitor for the ps4?

Treat yourself to the PS4 Pro for your birthday. I preordered mine today.

Reactions: tshrimp

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010

As a PS4 Pro owner, and a PC gamer, please allow me to tell you that the LG monitor would not be a wonderful display to pair for this gift.

It is not an HDR display. The PS4 Pro supports HDR, but this monitor does not. You're better off getting a quality 4K HDR TV, that has a low input lag to enjoy your games on. The Samsung KS8000 has one of the lowest input lags available now. Getting this monitor essentially means that you will not be taking full advantage of what the console has to offer you.

Even for a gaming PC this monitor is inappropriate. Running games at 4K alone requires some of the very best hardware available. For example, Titanfall 2 advertises sys requirements for 4K60fps settings to require an i7 6700 and a GTX 1080. You're looking at essentially $1000 of computer parts right there alone to hit 4k60. This monitor here has an even higher res (hence, 5K) thus it's really not a gamer's choice for a display. It'll mostly be for professional work such as design or editing.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
As a PS4 Pro owner, and a PC gamer, please allow me to tell you that the LG monitor would not be a wonderful display to pair for this gift.

It is not an HDR display. The PS4 Pro supports HDR, but this monitor does not. You're better off getting a quality 4K HDR TV, that has a low input lag to enjoy your games on. The Samsung KS8000 has one of the lowest input lags available now. Getting this monitor essentially means that you will not be taking full advantage of what the console has to offer you.

Even for a gaming PC this monitor is inappropriate. Running games at 4K alone requires some of the very best hardware available. For example, Titanfall 2 advertises sys requirements for 4K60fps settings to require an i7 6700 and a GTX 1080. You're looking at essentially $1000 of computer parts right there alone to hit 4k60. This monitor here has an even higher res (hence, 5K) thus it's really not a gamer's choice for a display. It'll mostly be for professional work such as design or editing.

Good info. For those who may not know there is a great website that shows many TVs and Monitors with their input lag.

http://www.displaylag.com/

lite426

macrumors regular
May 24, 2013
What's the input lag of the MBP with Touchbar 13"? Better than Surface Book?

Adzmr2

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2021
Burnham, England
Hi I tried to contact the seller but no response anyone know where I can source this adaptor or similar

I have an Xbox series x that I wish to use on LG 5k monitor LG 27MD5KA-B

If anyone can help….

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.