Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Someone with a PS4 and iPadOS13 in the room who can test this?

Would love to know if you can really use RemotePlay now, because it was utterly useless with onscreen controls...

Sunshoopa

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
I very much doubt the Remote Play app will support it today. But I expect it will be updated to do so around September.
While I’m not using iOS 13, I’m pretty sure if it supports an MFi controller at all, it’ll work with the Xbox or PS4 controller. The PS4 remote app does indeed support MFi controllers, so it should work. It just doesn’t support the full amount of the controller (touchpad, share button, etc), which will be later this fall.

youslippin

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
It should work. I tried OneCast (Xbox One Streaming App) and the xbox one controller (which I had connected via bluetooth) worked just fine during remote streaming

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Brings tears to my eyes if it eventually is seamless. Traveling just got a lot better.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
The way to do this today is to create a second profile on the PS4 and to stream from that profile but then actually play with your main account - since its local WiFi only this tends to work because you are close to the system.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium

reycat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
That is so awesome! Only stupid thing now is that the Remote Play app requires WiFi, while my 4G connection is way faster and more stable than our guest WiFi at work. (private network has loads of blocks/limits).

Would be so cool to have a mobile PS4 :)

Have you tried R-Play? That's what I used to play Spider-man while on the go. Only problem was the absence of L3 + R3 in my Nimbus.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Have you tried R-Play? That's what I used to play Spider-man while on the go. Only problem was the absence of L3 + R3 in my Nimbus.

Does R-play have an Apple TV version?

Had some problems installing Catalina, so I'm not on iOS 13 just yet. I'll try out R-play on my iPad when I get everything installed.

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
Just connected my PS4 controller to my iPad and tested remote play, all buttons (except the touchpad, PS button and the share button) work including L3 & R3!!

Hopefully the Remote Play app just needs patching to support the touchpad.

Also tested Real Racing 3, all works fine (nothing will make the crappy physics of that game feel good) and Final Fantasy V, again all working.

Very happy about this!

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
It works but PS, share, and the touchpad do not work (and may not work ever).

Last edited:

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Most of the time I’m playing Remote Play on the couch while others watch TV, so for this app I may just keep doing what I’ve been doing and doing the 2 user profile thing to have every controller feature by having it talk directly to the console - if the remote app worked on the road over LTE then things would be a bit different - also this will be killer for Stadia and hopefully PS Now on iOS

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Does the controller support work with a first person shooter game like Bullet Force?

smizzle

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Has anyone tried pairing an old DualShock 3 controller? I'm thinking there might be a chance since it also connects via bluetooth.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Has anyone tried pairing an old DualShock 3 controller? I'm thinking there might be a chance since it also connects via bluetooth.
I’m doubtful on that they are very different in how OSes see them - yes both BT, but different enough to make it weird - heck you can’t even use a DS4 on a PS3 unless its wired and then no rumble etc.

Reactions: Mac Rules

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
It works but PS, share, and the touchpad do not work (and may not work ever).

If they have built full support in then it probably will work it just requires the apps to support it so we are mist likely jsut waiting for Sony to update the Remote Play app

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
So how much longer until Nimbus goes out of business, not sure who would buy a MFI controller at this point!

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
So how much longer until Nimbus goes out of business, not sure who would buy a MFI controller at this point!

the nimbus is sold out in the apple store in pretty much every country i checked bah the US, so maybe apple agrees with you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.