Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Hey; I didn't know whether to put this in Mac/PC games or console, but decided to put it here since it is about the DualSense controller that Sony makes for PS5, even though it isn't really about console gaming in any other sense than that.

Anyways!

I've recently gotten this controller purely to mess around with on my Mac. Programming for it and whatnot.

In my messing around I noticed that the motor in the right handle is significantly weaker than the left handle on my controller and I want to know if this is normal.

I am attaching a link to a test program. If anyone is willing, please attach your DualSense to your Mac, and try out the various motor functions using this program I link.

The program is written by Apple as an example of controlling motors in controllers, though they did write it for iOS. To make it easier to test, so you won't need Xcode, and to build and push it to an iOS device, I just made some quick change it to make it a Catalyst app on the Mac.

I also feel like it's very hard to set the adaptive triggers in ways that don't make them feel too slow to activate, but I'm sure that's just how they're intended to be and I just need to get better at coding them. Learn how they react to different vibration/files/feedback/weapon modes and all.

Anyway, here's a link to download the rumble test app:

dualsense.zip

I honestly don't know if I hope it's a flaw in my controller or just the way it is. If it's a flaw in my controller I can get it replaced, but that's a hassle. If it generally is just how it is, that's going to make fiddling with the rumble intensity parameters a lot trickier to get a uniform feel

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Oh and as you've probably tried before; Since I changed it to run on the Mac through Catalyst it's not signed by Apple or notarised or anything. So to run it you'll need to right click it in the Finder and hit Open :)

Alternatively if you don't trust it, here's Apple's source code version

To make it run under Catalyst instead of being an iOS only app, open that project in Xcode, and in the root project navigator for the app, enable the iPad and Mac tick boxes, and ensure it's set to sign to run locally, then you should be able to build and run on your Mac :)
It does not work using the controller connected to the Mac through the iOS Simulator

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.