Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
I have the 2.4 i9, and have coil whine. ?

Doesn't really bother me as I sit here listening to "Young Americans by David Bowie" so loud that the computer could be screaming and I'd be happily oblivious!

Last edited:

kmahmood

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2019
Lucky! I'm returning mine and will get the 3rd one. What specs do you have?
I've got the i9 2.3 ghz base model, 1TB SSD, and 64GB RAM -- so far touch wood, no coil whine, and also really pleased that the fans have been behaving themselves even under load.. definitely much quieter compared to my 2015 MBP.

Reactions: antoine92

simpsoid

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2020
Hello from Russia!
I also have got i9 2.3 ghz base model, made in January 2020, and it had coil whine. I returned it, and got the same one, but produced March 2020. And its also have the coil whine, but as I think little bit silent. But that sound still drives me crazy, when I am working at night. Don't know what to do with second Mac, return or not. Otherwise I like everything else in it (

shpakdm

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2020
Coil Whine - Model - MacBook Pro 16, Intel Core i7-9750H. Told about it on apple forum maybe the company's representatives will pay attention.

The coil whine appears when there is a sharp high power supply to the processor.When the turboboost is turned on, the power is jumped to 80 watts and the squeaking is heard. If you turn off the turbo boost and run the test, the power will not rise above 40 watts and the coil whine will not be heard. For the load testing was used Geekbench. For power measurement, the Intel Power Gadget was used. Turbo Boost Switcher was used fo turn on/turn off turbo boost.Below images with measurement.

With turboboost on

switcher.png

With coil whine - turbo boost on

turboost_on.png

Without coil whine - turbo boost is off

turboboost_off.png

Test
measurment.png

antoine92

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2020
Beijing
Hello from Russia!
I also have got i9 2.3 ghz base model, made in January 2020, and it had coil whine. I returned it, and got the same one, but produced March 2020. And its also have the coil whine, but as I think little bit silent. But that sound still drives me crazy, when I am working at night. Don't know what to do with second Mac, return or not. Otherwise I like everything else in it (
Return it. I had EXACTLY same situation like you. I’m waiting for Apple to release 14” model, it might be better

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I am noticing a high pitched, constant, whine sound when my system is stressed and fans spin up. It seems correlated directly with the fans, and it's not the classic stuttery, morse code-like sound that I know is typical coil whine. Could this be another type of coil whine as well? Could it just be how the fans normally sound? It's kind of stressing me out.

simpsoid

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2020
f you turn off the turbo boost and run the test, the power will not rise above 40 watts and the coil whine will not be heard.
Hi! And what will happen with Mac if you disable the cpu turboboost? It will work slower?

quolpr

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2020
The same problem here.

MacBook Pro 16" 64GB RAM, 5500M 8GB, 8th core i9 2.4(up to 5.0), 2TB SSD.

And yes, it is connected with the turbo boost(without the noise still is coming, but not so loud).

Not sure what to do. I asked my friend to make a mic record of the geekbench CPU test, and he said that he doesn't have such a problem.

We need somebody that says I don't have this pitch to record and send us audio/video to approve. We must be sure that we have defective MacBooks and that it doesn't happen on all of them. I didn't notice that anybody did it.
[automerge]1586082019[/automerge]
The strange thing is that I didn't find any case when someone made a replacement and the new MacBook doesn't have coil whine. I am just concluding that we have sensitive ears or coil whine in our cases is too loud.

That's why we need video/audio recordings to make some conclusions.

If your friend/familiar has MacBook Pro 16, could you ask to make the recording?

Last edited:

quolpr

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2020
Hello from Russia!

Hey! I am from Russia too. Could you send me your email/tg(or write to me) for the future cooperation? My tg is @quolpr

shpakdm

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2020
Hi! And what will happen with Mac if you disable the cpu turboboost? It will work slower?
it will wok slower in single core mode. So programs which in some places of execution(or they just constantly use one core) can switch to one core will work slower. Example with turbo boost off - geekbanch show nears in single core mode 650 points, but with turboost is on - 1050 points so big difference for single core mode. But we can admit that many programs use single core mode - if we can hear sound - with the turboboost on, so turn off turbo bust is not an option because it reduces performance by almost half for one core.

Last edited:

quolpr

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2020
Coil Whine - Model - MacBook Pro 16, Intel Core i7-9750H. Told about it on apple forum maybe the company's representatives will pay attention.

The coil whine appears when there is a sharp high power supply to the processor.When the turboboost is turned on, the power is jumped to 80 watts and the squeaking is heard. If you turn off the turbo boost and run the test, the power will not rise above 40 watts and the coil whine will not be heard. For the load testing was used Geekbench. For power measurement, the Intel Power Gadget was used. Turbo Boost Switcher was used fo turn on/turn off turbo boost.Below images with measurement.

The strange thing is that I can hear coil whine even when the turbo boost is off ?

Btw, on MacBook 15 2016 with the same watt consumption, I don't hear coil whine at all

shpakdm

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2020
The strange thing is that I can hear coil whine even when the turbo boost is off ?

Btw, on MacBook 15 2016 with the same watt consumption, I don't hear coil whine at all
Even if turbo boost is off the coil whine still present but it is not so loud. I also have had macbook pro 15 inch 2017 without coil whine

Last edited:

simpsoid

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2020
Just launch Geekbench 5, with turbo boost on - 1072 and 6277 (multi-core). With turbo boost off - 579 and 4316. So turn off turbo bust is not an option, right.
So what we all need to do? Return it until we receive one without coil whine? ))

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Just launch Geekbench 5, with turbo boost on - 1072 and 6277 (multi-core). With turbo boost off - 579 and 4316. So turn off turbo bust is not an option, right.
So what we all need to do? Return it until we receive one without coil whine? ))
Depends, your score may lower but does it actually affect the system's performance for the tasks you do? Like in a noticeable way?

That multicore score still rivals the competition, and yes single core is lower, but it's all relative to what you're doing with it.

shpakdm

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2020
This is my second one with coil whine - so i don't know - i think to return again and agian is not an option - i think more people must be involved with same problem to make apple somehow solve this problem.
[automerge]1586099439[/automerge]
Depends, your score may lower but does it actually affect the system's performance for the tasks you do? Like in a noticeable way?

That multicore score still rivals the competition, and yes single core is lower, but it's all relative to what you're doing with it.
yes for me it is critical i cannot just disable turboboost. As example my IDE and tools use single-core mode many times.But it is not about me it is about that apple can't sell these notebooks with such coil whine
[automerge]1586099640[/automerge]
This is my second one with coil whine - so i don't know - i think to return again and agian is not an option - i think more people must be involved with same problem to make apple somehow solve this problem.
[automerge]1586099439[/automerge]

yes for me it is critical i cannot just disable turboboost. As example my IDE and tools use single-core mode many times.But it is not about me it is about that apple can't sell these notebooks with such coil whine
Also simple example - you can hear coil whine during reloading page in chrome)))

Last edited:

shpakdm

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2020
Also you can reproduce coil whine(it's not very loud in exactly such case, but you can still hear it) by starting type letter by letter in spotlight - and you can hear sharp noise when letter was typed

shpakdm

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2020

With turboboost on

View attachment 903643

With coil whine - turbo boost on

View attachment 903642
Without coil whine - turbo boost is off

View attachment 903646

Test
View attachment 903647

I did a little more research into the problem. The coil appears when the frequency jumps sharply from small(1000Mhz) to very large(3600 or 4000 Mhz) and the greater the difference, the more you can hear the coil whine. Why this happens - apple puts poor quality inductors that produce vibrations

simpsoid

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2020
I did a little more research into the problem. The coil appears when the frequency jumps sharply from small(1000Mhz) to very large(3600 or 4000 Mhz) and the greater the difference, the more you can hear the coil whine. Why this happens - apple puts poor quality inductors that produce vibrations
The main question is what to do. We need to return ours with coil whine, or all models of MBP 16" have poor quality inductors?

shpakdm

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2020
The main question is what to do. We need to return ours with coil whine, or all models of MBP 16" have poor quality inductors?

I don't know, maybe get the money back. I plan to exchange again(3 times) if the same situation then just return the money and wait for a new mac generation and buy the previous generation (I had a MacBook before 15 2017).

ChromeCrescendo

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2020
I don't know, maybe get the money back. I plan to exchange again(3 times) if the same situation then just return the money and wait for a new mac generation and buy the previous generation (I had a MacBook before 15 2017).

I am thinking of buying the MBP 16" and wonder, at what point will Apple stop taking returns if there are thermal and coil whine issues -- can you keep returning them until you get a non-defective one?

simpsoid

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2020
Very strange question ask Apple tech, when I was making refund. He asked what color of mbp 16 I got? I have space gray, and he suggest to try silver color. It's very strange, because coil whine doesn't depend of color, but different colors may be in different batch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.