Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cerberus1846

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021

APPLE PENCIL 2 COMPARISON (FAKE v REAL):

Thought I'd share this on here as I've not seen *ANYTHING* about this posted online. When I was searching - all I found was a bunch of information about alternative styluses people were referring to as being 'fake'.

I recently bought an Apple Pencil 2 which I was told was genuine. when I received it - the packaging looked a little off (in that the clear wrap seemed a little cheap and flimsy and not like Apple's usual standards) - at first glance though it looked ok (other than the stickers on the back being a little crooked! - another tell!).

I had nothing else to compare it to at the time so proceeded to open it. It had the documentation like you would expect and looked relatively like an Apple Pencil - although, it didn't come in a clear sleeve like I had seen on inboxing videos and the pen tray didn't have a clear pull tab to slide it out.

I then paired it to my iPad Pro 4th Gen 12.9" - I did this by attaching it to the magnetic strip and even got the rotating pencil animation!! - however, in the Apple Pencil settings I had no option for the double tap setting and no details of the battery (i.e. the top section of that screen was completely missing).

Onto the pencil itself - it didn't have any pressure sensitivity and seemed a bit skitterish when trying to use it (however, it DID work!). The plastic body of the pencil wasn't exactly smooth and I noticed the font looked a little off and it seemed to be embossed rather than printed.

It also showed in the battery widget as an 'Apple Pencil'! although, it didn't trigger the welcome to apple pencil demo that usually happens. The end cap also has a bit of a gap between the main body and a little bit rough from the casting and when I removed the top - it had a gold and black transducer instead of a gold and white one as found in the genuine Apple Pencils.

I've since tried to provide a bit of a side-by-side comparison as I've now gone out and bought a genuine Apple Pencil 2 and this one is being returned for a full refund.

Hope this helps others!

Fake on top / Genuine on bottom:
1.jpg

Fake on top / Genuine on bottom:
2.jpg

Fake on top (crooked stickers)/ Genuine on bottom:
3.jpg

Fake on top (printing not central) / Genuine on bottom:
4.jpg

Fake on top (didn't have plastic sleeve- and mould has rounded edges)
Genuine on bottom (plastic sleeve removed)

5.jpg

Fake on top (embossed, wrong font, leaf touching apple on logo, big gap between body and end cap, rough casting on end cap)
Genuine on bottom

6.jpg

Fake on top (missing standard printing - for European Countries anyway!)
Genuine on bottom

7.jpg

Fake on top (bigger gap between tip and body)
Genuine on bottom

8.jpg

Fake: apple logo has leaf touching,wrong font, embossed, big gap between font and end cap, gap between body and end cap, casting mark on end cap.
9.jpg

10.jpg

Fake on left: documentation has square corners:
11.jpg

Fake: documentation has square corners instead of rounded, printing isn't central on the cover
12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Genuine Menu: when the fake was attached this option wasn't available - it was missing
15.jpg

Genuine menu: this whole section was missing when connected to the fake Apple Pencil 2
16.jpg

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Whoa. Regarding the difference in the Settings screen. Sometimes you need to pull off/re-attach the pencil to get the Battery and Double-tap options to show up.

Reactions: cerberus1846

cerberus1846

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021
Whoa. Regarding the difference in the Settings screen. Sometimes you need to pull off/re-attach the pencil to get the Battery and Double-tap options to show up.

yep I had a proper play/test with the fake one and it wasn't enabling those options or the 'Welcome to Apple Pencil' intro/demo that you normally get the first time you pair it... however, it WAS recognises as an 'Apple Pencil' but the iPad, you got the spinning animation when you connected it and it also worked in the battery widget (i.e. showed the pencil icon and the battery charge!)..

Liamda1y

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2015
London, UK
I bought an Apple Pencil 2 through eBay, normal price seller had good reviews but I have same issues as you it shows the animation and cant link it. Upon further inspection comparing it to a genuine one there are differences, I am curious what did yours look like without the tip of the pencil on? The electronics in mine look different.

I got the Apple Pencil animation when I connected it but didnt get the prompt to pair it unless I went into the bluetooth settings and pair it. When its paired it doesnt do anything besides showing the battery status and that its paired. I cant write with it in any app or try the scibble test in the Apple Pencil menu (all the other options are also missing in this menu)

Genuine Apple Pencil 2 on top
I assume the fake on the bottom.
IMG_8520.jpg

cerberus1846

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021
Yep it looked exactly the same (though I explained this in my original post -eeek!.) the fake ones have a black tip and originals have white… pressure sensitivity also doesn’t work on the fakes.. they wouldn’t have had a plastic sleeve on the pen and the documentation is way off per my images..

iso667

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2016
Hello and many thanks for this info, pictures and comparison.

I’ve been scammed too into a second hand products application here in Spain called Wallapop. It is already reported.

Another thing I’ve noticed into the fake one, is that it has an internal red light, a led I assume, that became on when you dock the pencil.

I started investigating before seeing this light and ended up in here. Your pictures and comparison gave me the clues and I could finally determine that mine is fake too :(

I have reported it to application admins and also PayPal so I opened a dispute. I text to the original seller and I hope I could get a full refund because the product was listed as an original one and I also asked the seller because I had found several fake ones in the app. The seller sent it to me even while I told him I only wanted if it was original.

Thanks for sharing this! It was very helpful to me.

BR!

cerberus1846

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021
sorry for the delay in replying - i only just came back to this thread!!!

glad you found this helpful and i hope you managed to get a good result! :)

iso667

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2016
Hi! thanks! yes! I returned the item to the original sender and he paid for all the costs, shipment included. I had to threat him at the beginning, and he told me he purchased them on Amazon so he can't trust they were counterfeit, but finally he agreed to buy the item back and to pay the total amount I paid for the counterfeit item.

Later, my sister bought me an original one for christmas so I am happy now with my original pencil. Sometimes and some articles are better not to be bought at some internet platforms :)

Thank you again !!!

cerberus1846

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021
Hi! thanks! yes! I returned the item to the original sender and he paid for all the costs, shipment included. I had to threat him at the beginning, and he told me he purchased them on Amazon so he can't trust they were counterfeit, but finally he agreed to buy the item back and to pay the total amount I paid for the counterfeit item.

Later, my sister bought me an original one for christmas so I am happy now with my original pencil. Sometimes and some articles are better not to be bought at some internet platforms :)

Thank you again !!!
that's awesome!! - I like a happy ending! :)

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
How much did you pay?

Check Amazon Warehouse at times I think its $68 right now for a VG one

I just got an acceptable condition one for $55 or somewhere around there and its mint (and genuine)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.